F1 »

Honda ‘making steady progress’ with 2015 F1 engine

Ahead of its return to F1 as engine supplier to McLaren in 2015, Honda is pleased with its development and has been strengthening its facilities
Honda says it is “making steady progress” developing its new power unit ahead of its return to F1 in 2015.

It was announced last year that Honda would return to F1 as engine supplier to McLaren in 2015, opting to re-join a year after the new engine regulations were introduced. In a press release outlining Honda's motorsports program for the coming year, the engine manufacturer said it has been strengthening its facilities ahead of its return.

“For the FIA Formula One World Championship (F1), which Honda will rejoin in the 2015 season, the company is making steady progress in developing the power unit,” the statement read.

“In January 2014 Honda moved its motor sports development base from the Automobile R&D Center of Honda R&D Co., Ltd. (at Haga-machi, Haga-gun in Tochigi Prefecture) to a newly situated area in its facility in Sakura City (also in Tochigi), in a move to further strengthen its development organization for F1 and other races.

“At Honda's European base for F1 activity in Milton Keynes, U.K., installation of the dynamo and assembly facilities will be completed in June 2014 to further reinforce the already solid setup in preparation for racing.”

2014 marks the final year of McLaren's contract with Mercedes as its engine supplier, with the team setting the fastest time of the first pre-season test at Jerez last week.


Tagged as: Mclaren , Honda

Related Pictures

Click on relevant pic to enlarge
Honda badging on McLaren MP4-4
Fernando Alonso - McLaren Honda
Kevin Magnussen - McLaren Honda
Fernando Alonso, Jenson Button - McLaren Honda
McLaren Honda MP4-30
McLaren Honda MP4-30
Jenson Button - McLaren Honda
Jenson Button - McLaren Honda
Fernando Alonso - McLaren Honda
McLaren Honda MP4-30
McLaren Honda MP4-30
The McLaren-Honda MP4-30
McLaren Honda MP4-30
Ron Dennis and CNN`s Rani Raad at the McLaren Technology Centre
McLaren confirms Fernando Alonso and Jenson Button
Fernando Alonso and Ron Dennis at McLaren
McLaren confirms Fernando Alonso and Jenson Button
McLaren confirms Fernando Alonso and Jenson Button

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register before adding your comments.

Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.


Smithy2781

February 08, 2014 9:49 AM

ProfessorX: wonder how much information they will be able to gleam from the Merc power unit in the Macca cars? should be interesting. I wonder if Mercedes has imposed any kind of restrictions on data sharing outside the team, even though they probably couldn't police it.
I would imagine that only Mercedes employees are allowed anywhere near the power unit. I remember a gp in Phoenix one year and senna had engine trouble and had to pit, honda were so secretive that the mclaren mechanics had to show the honda engineers how to take the cover off as they didn't want anybody else ( including the mclaren mechanics ) to get anywhere near there engine.



© 1999 - 2015 Crash Media Group

The total or partial reproduction of text, photographs or illustrations is not permitted in any form.