Romain Grosjean admits he has taken a more cautious approach to this year's Monaco Grand Prix weekend after crashing on numerous occasions in 2013.

Having looked quick all weekend last year, Grosjean's chances were ruined by regular incidents which damaged his Lotus. With the car not as competitive this year, Grosjean says he has driven within himself slightly during Thursday practice following his experiences in Monte Carlo a year ago.

"Last year the car was superb and I thought I could win the race and then I pushed too hard and what happened, happened," Grosjean said. "This year I have been a little bit more cautious because the car is a bit more tricky, I knew what happened last year and I wanted to build my weekend properly.

Related Articles

"So I have probably been a little bit careful but it's better that way and the only good session is the one on Saturday afternoon."

Having been 13th fastest in FP1, Grosjean said he may have to change his approach if he wants to qualify the car in the top ten on Saturday.

"I don't know [if the car is quick enough], it really depends how Saturday is going. If it was today - speaking about this morning's session - I could probably have been a little bit quicker and closer to the top ten by taking risks. We would have to take quite a bit risk to get it well qualified."