» BACK TO CRASH.NET

Crash.Net F1 News

Magnussen was ‘100% blameless’ in Massa crash – Boullier

22 July 2014

McLaren racing director Eric Boullier says the stewards' investigation in to Felipe Massa's first-lap retirement in the German Grand Prix proved that Kevin Magnussen was “100% blameless”.

Massa and Magnussen collided at the first corner in Sunday's race, with the Williams being flipped upside-down and sliding along in the run-off area before the car righted itself. Afterwards, Massa made clear that he felt Magnussen was at fault for the incident, saying “he was too aggressive” and adding “these young drivers they want to win the race at the first corner”.

However, when investigating the incident, the stewards only analysed whether Massa had been at fault. Boullier said during a McLaren phone in on Tuesday that he had no concerns with Magnussen's driving in the incident and was pleased to see the stewards agreed.

"The stewards report related to Felipe's driving and nothing else," Boullier said during a McLaren phone-in. "There was a driving conduct investigation and they decided to impose no penalty on Felipe, which is their prerogative. But the report makes it clear that Kevin was 100% blameless, certainly."

And Boullier went on to say he was pleased with how both Magnussen and team-mate Jenson Button are driving at present, with Magnussen recovering from the incident to finish ninth in Hockenheim.

"So far I am 100% happy with both drivers. Jenson is clearly part of the family, he is fast and helps the team to drive where we want to go. With Kevin, as part of the learning process, he has respected all the tests we needed him to do and he is starting to clearly deliver in terms of his performance and in terms of result. So far I am 100% happy."


» BACK TO CRASH.NET