F1 »

F1: Sauber doesn’t need a new car – Kaltenborn

Sauber does not need to build a completely new F1 car for the 2015 season despite a poor year so far, according to team principal Monisha Kaltenborn
Sauber does not need to build a completely new car for the 2015 season despite a poor year so far, according to team principal Monisha Kaltenborn.

With Marussia scoring two points in the Monaco Grand Prix and Sauber yet to score, the team is currently tenth in the constructors' championship. However, Kaltenborn says the lack of results masks the positive aspects of this year's car and believes it is strong enough to act as the basis for the 2015 design.

“Looking at the data that we have on the car there is no need for us to develop a totally new car, because it's not as bad as it actually looks,” Kaltenborn said. “We know exactly where the weaknesses of the car are, they are areas which are very much known to the team because in our history of going back over many years of development we have always had these areas.

“So we need to focus on them again, clearly on low-speed corner performance. The aero is not that bad on the car but yes we have to improve there as well, and I think if we can tackle certain areas we will make a step ahead.”

Kaltenborn also said progress from Ferrari over the winter would automatically lead to Sauber being more competitive.

“What we also shouldn't forget is that a major factor this year for any team is also the powertrain; either good or not so good. So I'm also confident there with the communication that we have with our engine supplier that they will make a step ahead. So I am very sure that the package we will have for next year is definitely going to be better than this one.”


Related Pictures

Click on relevant pic to enlarge
26.07.2014- Free Practice 3, Sebastian Vettel (GER) Red Bull Racing RB10 and Esteban Gutierrez (MEX), Sauber F1 Team C33
Esteban Gutierrez joins Ferrari as test and reserve driver
F1 veteran David Coulthard wins Race of Champions
McLaren confirms Fernando Alonso and Jenson Button
Fernando Alonso and Ron Dennis at McLaren
McLaren confirms Fernando Alonso and Jenson Button
McLaren confirms Fernando Alonso and Jenson Button
Fernando Alonso and Jenson Button alongside Kevin Magnussen. Pic credit: McLaren
Christian Fittipaldi in the Minardi M192, 1992
David Brabham in the Simtek in 1994
Michael Andretti drives the MP4/8 in the 1993 San Marino Grand Prix
Lewis Hamilton crowned F1 world champion at FIA Prize-Giving Gala in Qatar [Pic credit: FIA / Jean Marie Hervio / DPPI]
Lewis Hamilton crowned F1 world champion at FIA Prize-Giving Gala in Qatar [Pic credit: FIA / Jean Marie Hervio / DPPI]
Sebastian Vettel says goodbye to Red Bull. Pic credit: Red Bull Racing
Sebastian Vettel says goodbye to Red Bull. Pic credit: Red Bull Racing
Sebastian Vettel says goodbye to Red Bull. Pic credit: Red Bull Racing
Sebastian Vettel says goodbye to Red Bull. Pic credit: Red Bull Racing
Sebastian Vettel says goodbye to Red Bull. Pic credit: Red Bull Racing

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register before adding your comments.

Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.


theoldgitspeaks

August 09, 2014 12:15 PM

Whatever they do it will be irrelevant as they will still be a lower mid grid team. As for drivers you can perm any number of pay drivers and second stringers and the results will be the same, it's a catch 22 situation, you have no money a crap car and you won't get a top driver, a shame because Sauber has a good reputation and has produced some good cars but until they can obtain a bigger budget the situation will remain the same.



© 1999 - 2014 Crash Media Group

The total or partial reproduction of text, photographs or illustrations is not permitted in any form.