F1 »

F1: Boullier admits driver uncertainty ‘uncomfortable’

McLaren racing director Eric Boullier admits the uncertainty over the team's future F1 driver line-up is “uncomfortable” for Jenson Button and Kevin Magnussen
McLaren racing director Eric Boullier admits the uncertainty over the team's future driver line-up is “uncomfortable” for Jenson Button and Kevin Magnussen.

With neither driver confirmed for 2015, Button commented in Belgium that it was an “unusual” situation at McLaren. When those quotes were put to Boullier during a McLaren phone-in on Tuesday, he conceded that it was not nice for the drivers to still be waiting but said it was necessary for the team to make the right decision for future seasons.

“I can't speak on his behalf but I guess it's unusual because coming out of August and not having a firm commitment from the team – I think this is what he means by it,” Boullier said. “We are working on the strategy for the driver line-up for the next years. For me it's important to say years because we are looking for three years and maybe five years.

“It's true with Ron being back since January and me being new in to the team we have asked for a little bit more time than necessary but we can afford this time, even if it is uncomfortable for the drivers, which I understand. We have to put our priorities [first].”

And Boullier also praised both drivers, saying they have exceeded expectations in terms of their performances during what has been a tough season so far.

“They have performed better than we could have expected. First of all we didn't give them a good enough car and of course and as you know the worse the car is the more difficult it is to drive. So I think we are now trying to bring performance as fast as we can.

“In terms of driving I think both drivers did a very good job. Kevin had a podium in the first race and obviously went through a few experiences which are part of the learning process. In the case of Jenson he is super professional and he delivered everything we could out of the car I think.”



Related Pictures

Click on relevant pic to enlarge
16.03.2014- Jenson Button (GBR) McLaren Mercedes MP4-29 and Kevin Magnussen (DEN) McLaren Mercedes MP4-29
Esteban Gutierrez joins Ferrari as test and reserve driver
F1 veteran David Coulthard wins Race of Champions
McLaren confirms Fernando Alonso and Jenson Button
Fernando Alonso and Ron Dennis at McLaren
McLaren confirms Fernando Alonso and Jenson Button
McLaren confirms Fernando Alonso and Jenson Button
Fernando Alonso and Jenson Button alongside Kevin Magnussen. Pic credit: McLaren
McLaren confirms Jenson Button and Fernando Alonso
Christian Fittipaldi in the Minardi M192, 1992
David Brabham in the Simtek in 1994
Michael Andretti drives the MP4/8 in the 1993 San Marino Grand Prix
Lewis Hamilton crowned F1 world champion at FIA Prize-Giving Gala in Qatar [Pic credit: FIA / Jean Marie Hervio / DPPI]
Lewis Hamilton crowned F1 world champion at FIA Prize-Giving Gala in Qatar [Pic credit: FIA / Jean Marie Hervio / DPPI]
Sebastian Vettel says goodbye to Red Bull. Pic credit: Red Bull Racing
Sebastian Vettel says goodbye to Red Bull. Pic credit: Red Bull Racing
Sebastian Vettel says goodbye to Red Bull. Pic credit: Red Bull Racing
Sebastian Vettel says goodbye to Red Bull. Pic credit: Red Bull Racing

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register before adding your comments.

Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.


Nickf1981

August 26, 2014 4:09 PM

If it's uncomfortable get the contracts on the table , I would offer them both a 1 year extension with options for an extra year All main players are in place so status quo for 2015 would be best



© 1999 - 2014 Crash Media Group

The total or partial reproduction of text, photographs or illustrations is not permitted in any form.