Lewis Hamilton says he still sees his future at Mercedes and has disputed reports that contract discussions are 'frozen'.
Mercedes boss Toto Wolff confirmed recently that negotiations had started about extending Hamilton's stay beyond his current contract which runs out at the end of 2015.
However, speaking before Hamilton and team-mate Nico Rosberg collided in the Belgian Grand Prix, Wolff added that both parties had agreed to delay the talks
, while also not opening discussions with anyone else, given the championship situation.
“Well, I haven't said that I was freezing anything,” Hamilton clarified on Thursday ahead of this weekend's Italian Grand Prix. “We are constantly talking to the team, but the priority at the moment is to win the world championship. I still have a contract for another whole year on top of this one, so there is no rush.”
“But I would like to say that I see my future with Mercedes. I am really happy there,” added the 2008 F1 world champion.
Meanwhile, quizzed on what happened in Belgium and if he now accepts it was a 'racing incident', Hamilton replied: “I know it is something you all want to talk about. But after the race it was important to try and move forward and that is really all I am focusing on. What has happened in the past is in the past. It is what it is.
“I am excited to get back in the car. It is one of my favourite circuits and I hope that we can have a good weekend. I have seven races and there are still a lot of points available. That is my focus.”
Pressed on how he will move forward now and if he can trust Rosberg in a wheel-to-wheel dice, Hamilton remained diplomatic.
“I already said everything in the press release [Mercedes issued last week]. Trust is a big word and it is not something I would particularly apply to racing on track, I think.
"Nico and I have been racing for a long time and we set a good foundation a long time ago. So, that is what we will work with.”