A member of the organising committee for the Korean Grand Prix says it was "given no prior notice" it would be added to the 2015 F1 calendar.

Wednesday's meeting of the World Motor Sport Council saw Korea added to the schedule in May as part of a 21-race calendar. With engine regulations permitting five power units for the season if more than 20 races are originally scheduled - compared to four for 20 races or less, one unit fewer than 2014 - there has been scepticism surrounding the announcement that it could be used to gain an extra power unit.

Another potential explanation for the late additions is that it could be a tool to put pressure on other race organisers to agree new contracts. Either way, it appears the Korean race organisers themselves have been caught by surprise.

Related Articles

"We were given no prior notice," a member of the organising committee told AFP. "The FIA just announced it, although we've already conveyed our position about the difficulties of hosting a race next year."

And the official also explained that there had been no progress in terms of renegotiating the contract for a future race.

"We also have to consider the negative views many people in the province have over the cost of the event ... Negotiations have been held on revising the contract in an attempt to reduce the financial burden, but they have been unsuccessful so far."