The FIA says it will investigate the situation surrounding Fernando Alonso's Barcelona Formula 1 test accident to understand what happened and what can be learned.

The governing body has begun working with McLaren by going through its data as well as the CCTV footage at the track to map out each stage of the accident and how it can be avoided in the future.

Alonso's crash initially caused speculation the Spanish driver had been electrocuted, but it was rigorously denied by the Woking-based team. McLaren instead said high winds at the Circuit de Catalunya were part of the cause of the accident and were still working on its investigation.

Related Articles

The two-time F1 champion was released from hospital on Wednesday afternoon and will miss the final pre-season test, being replaced by McLaren test and reserve driver Kevin Magnussen.

An FIA spokesman said the governing body would look into the incident and see if any safety improvements are possible.

"We will be looking very carefully at what happened," said the spokesman. "We want to know what took place, so we will be gathering all the information that we can - as well as fully co-operating with McLaren."