F1 »

van der Garde reaches agreement, slams Sauber

Giedo van der Garde confirms he has agreed a deal to sever ties and his 'right' to an F1 race seat with Sauber, but slams the management for his treatment
Giedo van der Garde has confirmed he has reached a concluding settlement with Sauber, which brings an end to his Formula 1 deal by mutual consent.

The Dutch driver had been embroiled in a lengthy legal dispute with the Formula 1 team which saw the pair go to court in Switzerland and in the direct run up to the Australian Grand Prix, with both cases favouring van der Garde.

However, having dropped his legal pursuit for a race seat in Australia, van der Garde revealed in a lengthy statement he has come to a term of mutual agreement with Sauber which will see him compensated but his contract officially annulled, the Dutchman accepting that his career as an F1 driver is now probably over.

"We have reached a settlement with Sauber and my driver contract with the team has been ended by mutual consent. As a passionate race driver, I feel sad and am very disappointed. I have worked very hard my entire career, ever since starting with go-karts at the age of eight, to live my dream and become a successful Formula One driver. I had hoped at last to be able to show what I am capable of, driving a car for a respected midfield team in the 2015 season. This dream has been taken away from me and I know that my future in Formula One is probably over.

Indeed, van der Garde says he didn't want to be seen as the driver responsible for team members or drivers Felipe Nasr and Marcus Ericsson losing their jobs over his action, but says the blame should fall directly on the management for creating such a situation.

"I had a valid driver contract for the entire 2015 season and enforceable rights to it. I pushed very hard until last Saturday in Melbourne to get the drive that I was entitled to. This legal process started in 2014 and has taken a great deal of effort. It was never a last minute thing, but it only became public in the last week when we tried to force the team to accept the rulings of a succession of legal authorities and courts.

"I am a race driver and all I want is to race. However, the team principal was adamant not to let me drive, notwithstanding my legal rights to do so and a series of rulings and court orders in my favour and despite my race driving abilities. I will never understand this. I could have persisted, but the team principal had taken a decision contrary to my contract that she would not work with me and this became painfully clear in the paddock in Melbourne.

"To push on against this determination might have brought down the team, it would most certainly have wrecked the opening Grand Prix in Melbourne because the team´s cars would have been seized by the court, it may have ruined the careers of two young drivers Marcus Ericsson and Felipe Nasr. Possibly the team´s directors would even be taken into custody. I decided I did not want to live with that idea, even though it was only the team's management that was responsible for the bizarre situation I found myself in.
I am very grateful to my fans and many friends in Formula One who have given me a lot of support during the last couple of months.

"This period has been very difficult for me especially since I could not talk to anybody about the pending proceedings. Last week, many drivers on the grid gave me their support and several of them did so openly in the media as well. The same goes for several leading figures in the paddock who include team bosses and reputable former Formula One drivers. I thank them as well.

"My future in motorsport has not finished: on the contrary, I see this as a new beginning. I will sit down with my management in the coming weeks to discuss my future plans. I would love to take part in the WEC and the Le Mans 24 Hours in an LMP1 car. Former Formula One drivers do very well in this series. We also have our eye on other series such as the DTM in 2016 and beyond.

"There has been a lot of speculation in the media over the past week, so I want to set out clearly that my sponsors paid the sponsorship fee related to the 2015 season in its entirety to Sauber in the first half of 2014. This was simply in good faith and to help the team deal with its cash problems at the time. Effectively, it was my sponsor's advanced payments that helped the team survive in 2014.

"Sauber's financial decision-making in this case is bizarre and makes no sense to me. I am not at liberty to discuss details, but Sauber paid significant compensation to avoid honouring the contract they had with me. Only in that respect can I be satisfied that my rights have finally been recognised and that at least some justice has been done.

"I want to thank McGregor for sponsoring me from the time I won the Formula Renault 3.5 Ltr. Series in 2008. I hope we can continue to build on this as my motorsport career goes forward in other series.
I want to thank my family, my father Gerrit and my wife Denise in particular, for their tireless support throughout the years that I have been chasing my Formula One dream. The last couple of months have been especially hard for me but they have always stood by me. Of course, I also want to thank my father-in-law, Marcel Boekhoorn, who has been a great supporter during my entire career through the motorsport ranks. Without him, I would not have got this far.

"I also thank Jeroen Schothorst and Jan Paul ten Hoopen for managing my career and business affairs since 2008 and in particular for their unconditional support during these last four and a half months. I also extend thanks to my legal advisor Gijs Rooijens and the law firms, Druces, Blackstone Chambers and King & Wood Mallesons (Australia), that worked very hard and enthusiastically – sometimes literally day and night and during weekends – to fight for my rights.

"Finally, I would like to direct a few words to the teams, drivers, future drivers, their managers and the Formula One governing bodies. I sincerely hope that what has happened to me will start a movement aimed at setting new standards and bringing about new regulations to help protect the rights of drivers. I would like to think that the values and business ethics that apply in any other business should be equally applicable in Formula One. I am lucky to have had Marcel and Jeroen on my side.

"Both of them have extensive backgrounds in business and bring a lot of expertise to the table when it comes to resolving complicated business affairs. Without them, I would have remained empty-handed in the wake of this extraordinary affair. There are numerous examples of talented drivers with good intentions but without the sort of professional support that I have had, who have been broken by Formula One and who have seen their careers destroyed.

"I therefore hope that my unprecedented case which was heard last week by the Supreme Court of Victoria at Melbourne will serve as an example to illustrate what should change, and that new regulations will be implemented to help protect driver rights."

Related Pictures

Click on relevant pic to enlarge
13.03.2015 - Giedo van der Garde (NLD) walks into the Sauber Motorhome.
13.03.2015 - Giedo van der Garde (NLD) wearing Marcus Ericsson`s overalls.
13.03.2015 - Giedo van der Garde (NLD) walks into the Sauber Motorhome.
13.03.2015 - Giedo van der Garde (NLD) walks into the Sauber Motorhome.
23.10.2016 - Race, Felipe Nasr (BRA) Sauber C34 leads Marcus Ericsson (SUE) Sauber C34
23.10.2016 - Race, Marcus Ericsson (SUE) Sauber C34
23.10.2016 - Race, Daniil Kvyat (RUS) Scuderia Toro Rosso STR11 and Marcus Ericsson (SUE) Sauber C34
23.10.2016 - Race, Felipe Nasr (BRA) Sauber C34 and Pascal Wehrlein (GER) Manor Racing MRT05
23.10.2016 - Race, Marcus Ericsson (SUE) Sauber C34
23.10.2016 - Race, Pascal Wehrlein (GER) Manor Racing MRT05 leads Esteban Ocon (FRA) Manor Racing MRT05 and Felipe Nasr (BRA) Sauber C34
23.10.2016 - Race, Marcus Ericsson (SUE) Sauber C34 and Jolyon Palmer (GBR) Renault Sport F1 Team RS16
23.10.2016 - Drivers parade, Lewis Hamilton (GBR) Mercedes AMG F1 W07 Hybrid, Felipe Nasr (BRA) Sauber C34 and Kimi Raikkonen (FIN) Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H
23.10.2016 - Marcus Ericsson (SUE) Sauber C34 and Carlos Sainz Jr (ESP) Scuderia Toro Rosso STR11
23.10.2016 - Felipe Nasr (BRA) Sauber C34 and Pascal Wehrlein (GER) Manor Racing MRT05
23.10.2016 - Felipe Nasr (BRA) Sauber C34 and Carlos Sainz Jr (ESP) Scuderia Toro Rosso STR11
23.10.2016 - Marcus Ericsson (SUE) Sauber C34 and Carlos Sainz Jr (ESP) Scuderia Toro Rosso STR11
23.10.2016 - Marcus Ericsson (SUE) Sauber C34
22.10.2016 - Qualifying, Felipe Nasr (BRA) Sauber C34

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register before adding your comments.

Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.


March 18, 2015 10:06 AM

coming from the law side of life kaltenberg should really be seeing this from vdg point.. Its ridiculous that something like this could happen, i actually feel sorry for giedo as i think he knows his f1 carrer is over what a shame as we never really got to see his full potential..

© 1999 - 2016 Crash Media Group

The total or partial reproduction of text, photographs or illustrations is not permitted in any form.