Sergio Perez says a 'very, very special lap' was responsible for his unexpected seventh place result in qualifying for the Monaco Grand Prix, the Mexican now firmly setting his sights on points.
Having made relatively little impression on proceedings for Force India in the run up to qualifying, Perez had already impressed to sneak into Q3, but once there produced a remarkable performance on his one and only lap to out-qualify both Toro Rosso and Lotus for seventh.
His and Force India's best qualifying performance of the season, Perez was thrilled to have secured such an impressive result, not least around the tight streets of Monaco.
“I think Monaco is a place where the driver can make a difference,” he said. “To make it in to Q2 was special, but to make it in to Q3 was a very, very special lap, and then to beat so many cars that we were not expecting to beat in Q3 was a mega effort from the whole team.
“I have to say I am very happy with today's performance. Monaco is 90 per cent qualifying but the other 10 per cent is very important and we have got to make sure we are in the best possible position to score the best possible points tomorrow.”
Indeed, Perez takes confidence from the performance given he says the VJM08 still has significant limitations.
“I think definitely we've been more competitive here,” he continued. “It's a car that mechanically we can run it quite soft and that helps but we definitely can see very clearly our limitations.
“We cannot really add any front end to the car because the rear is just too weak for us at the moment. So to be in that position at the moment without any upgrade is a very good effort, so it's very promising for our upgrade.”