Philippe Bianchi, father of the late Jules Bianchi, says he still finds it too difficult to watch a Formula 1 race twelve months on from the accident that ultimately claimed his son's life.

Bianchi suffered serious head injuries in an accident during the 2014 Japanese Grand Prix at Suzuka after skidding off the circuit in wet conditions and striking a recovery vehicle. Leaving him in a coma, Bianchi succumbed to injuries nine months later on July 17 aged 25 years-old.

As F1 returns to Suzuka for the 2015 event almost a year on from the accident, his father Philippe has spoken openly about the difficult months after the accident and the pain in the wake of his passing.

Related Articles

"It's a difficult moment because it marks one year now that Jules had his crash, and this week is not a good week for the Bianchi family," he told the BBC. "Jules is missed a lot by all his family, all the fans, all his friends, it is very difficult.

"I think that Jules is with me now but it's difficult because he phoned me and his mother every day, and now it is one year that I can't speak with Jules and his mother can't speak with him. For nine months I can't touch him and can't give him a kiss. But Jules was a very good boy, he was very near his family, and it's terrible."

Bianchi Snr went on to say that he cannot bring himself to watch an F1 race and he has not seen images or video of Jules' crash itself either.

"Perhaps in a few months, a few years, I can see again a grand prix, I don't know, but for the moment, it is too difficult.

"I don't know what happened because for the moment I don't want to see the video of the incident. Perhaps in one month, two months, six months, I don't know.

"I can't see pictures of the crash of Jules. It's not possible for me to say something about the crash because it's too difficult for me to look at the video."

Discussing his long fight for life, Bianchi accepts that Jules' neurological hopes of survival were gone as soon as he crashed.

"The problem when Jules had this crash, I think that his head and his brain were finished, because he had too much damage in his brain.

"You have two things - the neurological and the physical - and Jules had a very big physical presence, and I think he stayed in life because physically he is very strong."

Jules Bianchi's passing marked the first death as a result of an accident in Formula 1 since Ayrton Senna was killed in the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix at Imola.