Lewis Hamilton has admitted his car crash in Monaco was a result of 'heavy partying' but says he has fully recovered from a hectic schedule.
The reigning Formula 1 champion confirmed via his Instagram on Wednesday he had been involved in a road accident in Monaco on Monday in which he collided with three parked cars in his Pagani Zonda. The Mercedes driver was tested by Monaco police for alcohol with 'the results coming back negative', according to a Mercedes spokesman.
Though Hamilton did not comment initially on the incident as he prepares for this weekend's Brazilian Grand Prix, he later revealed that 'heavy partying' played its part in the minor incident.
"It was a result of heavy partying and not much rest for a week and a half,” Hamilton told British newspapers. “I don't feel as bad as I look, but I honestly feel a lot better. I am a bit run down. I have been non-stop and trying to fit training in at the same time and not getting a lot of sleep.
“The last two days I have slept pretty much all day. I couldn't believe how much I slept. I slept on the flight here. I usually sleep four or five hours but when you are training you need more than that.
"I am generally a really energetic person, but that week after Mexico and the party we drank a lot and I was really feeling it."
The three-time F1 champion has also says he was always going to race in Brazil, despite having little left to compete for in 2015 after wrapping up the Drivers' title and Mercedes clinching the Manufacturers' crown.
"I never considered not coming,” he said. "I have never ever not considered coming to a race throughout my whole life. In 22 years, I have never not been at a race."