Toto Wolff has led the chorus of negative views about the new elimination-qualifying format, branding it as 'pretty rubbish' despite his Mercedes team securing a 1-2 on the grid.
Much debated before the start of the season, the worst fears of the drivers and teams would come to fruition as teams seemed confused as to what laps counted at the beginning and tactics played a part in making Q3 a one lap shootout that would see almost no car on track in the final 10mins.
With fans exiting the stands long before Q3 had been completed, Wolff has described the format as 'pretty rubbish' and wants discussions on how to change it straight away for the upcoming Bahrain Grand Prix.
“I'm the first one to say we shouldn't be speaking badly on TV about some of the things but I think the new qualifying format is pretty rubbish,” Wolff told Sky Sports F1
“I think we need to discuss that [something],” he continued. “Everybody is trying to do their best to improve the show and sometimes when we find out we haven't improved the show, we have made it worse, we need to sit down and say 'what can be done, can we come back'. I think that discussion is going to take place.”
Reflecting on why teams voted in the change, he said there was pressure to improve Saturday ticket sales, but admits it needs to be looked at again.
“We all sat in the room and what we want is to listen to everyone who sells tickets and promoters. If the Saturday is something that needs to be improved then we need to look at it, that's what we did. The solution is not good, that's my personal opinion, and that's why we have to have a look at it again.”
Despite the format issues, Lewis Hamilton still qualified on pole position, with Nico Rosberg – the only driver to do a faster second lap – grabbing second.