F1 »

Honda prepared to supply more than McLaren

Honda: We haven't any plans [to supply another team] but we have already promised the FIA that we would have the potential to supply a second or third teams, so we are preparing that, but there are no concrete plans.
Honda F1 boss Yusuke Hasegawa says the manufacturer is prepared to extend its supply beyond McLaren as per the incoming regulations, but has no plans to do so at this time.

The Japanese firm returned to F1 in its capacity as an engine supplier to McLaren, a deal that the British team touted as exclusive despite an apparent agreement made with Bernie Ecclestone that would see it prepared to add a second team in 2016.

With McLaren vetoing Red Bull's plans to approach Honda for a supply, the Japanese firm will nonetheless have to be prepared to accept an approach from another team in 2017 as per the new engine agreement, which assures no outfit is left without a supply.

Though Hasegawa says that Honda – which has struggled to bring its power unit up to speed – hasn't received any approaches, he confirms it will make plans to fulfil any bid.

“We haven't any plans [to supply another team] but we have already promised the FIA that we would have the potential to supply a second or third teams, so we are preparing that, but there are no concrete plans,” he explained.

Though Ecclestone has previously stated Honda shouldn't be held to an exclusive deal with McLaren from this year, he says it is ultimately up to the manufacturer whether it adheres to it.

“When Honda came into F1, normally we'd say people have to supply three teams, but, because it was new, the first year we said supply one team, two the second year and three the third. The people I've got a contract with, that contract says they can only supply the team that's got the contract with them and can't supply anybody else so it's up to Honda.”


Related Pictures

Click on relevant pic to enlarge
01.05.2016 - Race, Fernando Alonso (ESP) McLaren Honda MP4-31
Fernando Alonso - McLaren-Honda
30.04.2016 - Free Practice 3, Jenson Button (GBR)  McLaren Honda MP4-31
19.03.2016 - McLaren Honda MP4-31, detail
01.04.2016 - Yusuke Hasegawa (JPN) Head of Honda F1 Programme

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register before adding your comments.

Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.


theoldgitspeaks

May 07, 2016 1:56 PM

I don't think Ron Dennis would agree to this, he seems to think he has an exclusive contract and seems to want to keep it that way, not sure that anyone else would want a Honda powerplant anyway on the evidence of last season and this!



© 1999 - 2016 Crash Media Group

The total or partial reproduction of text, photographs or illustrations is not permitted in any form.