F1 »

Ecclestone rebuffs rival F1 series rumours

Bernie Ecclestone: I have built the Championship over the last near 50 years, which is something I am proud of, and the last thing I want, is to see it damaged
Bernie Ecclestone says he has no intention of setting up a series to rival Formula One and insists he would never want to damage the sport he has spent so long nurturing.

Ecclestone was axed as boss of the sport this week upon the completion of Liberty Media's takeover of the commercial rights. He has been replaced by new F1 Chairman Chase Carey who has added the role of Chief Executive Officer.

Since then there have been some talk he might set up a rival series, although in a statement on Friday he said such rumours were unfounded.

“I wish to clear up the rumours that I am starting a series to compete against the FIA Formula One World Championship. I have built the Championship over the last near 50 years, which is something I am proud of, and the last thing I want, is to see it damaged,” he said in the missive.

Should these drivers be racing in F1?...

Ecclestone also added that he “would have loved” to be in the position Carey is now in being able to invest in the sport and thanked people for all the messages he has received since it was announced he would no longer be in charge.

“The new owner of the company will be able to carry out the administration of the company in a different way to the way I had, which was to produce financial results for the shareholders, the normal actions of a chief executive.

“This, I have done for the different shareholders over the last years and also when I owned 100 percent of the company. I would have loved the luxury of what Chase Carey, the CEO, is able to do.

“I hope the F1 supporters appreciate this as Chase intends to put money back into the sport.

“I am very touched by the support and thanks that I have received from the people that I have dealt with over the years.”

Bernie Ecclestone's most controversial moments!

Meanwhile, in a separate report, Ecclestone conceded he was surprised by the decision to oust him.

“Before the acquisition there was talk about making me CEO for another three years to ensure a smooth transition. So I was a little surprised when they asked me to step aside,” he told the Daily Mail. “But I don't feel let down. I'm a realist. I don't feel anything about the decision.”

Ecclestone has also told Reuters that he will attend F1 races this season in his new role as 'Chairman Emeritus', although what that role will entail is currently unknown, adding he has no intention of retiring.

“I'm not the retiring person,” he underlined.


Latest Tweets from Crash.net & GPF1rst


by Rob Wilkins



Related Pictures

Click on relevant pic to enlarge
11.11.2016 - Free Practice 2, Bernie Ecclestone (GBR), President and CEO of FOM
26.11.2016 - Chase Carey (USA) Formula One Group Chairman, Bernie Ecclestone (GBR), President and CEO of FOM and Christian Horner (GBR), Red Bull Racing, Sporting Director
11.11.2016 - Free Practice 2, Bernie Ecclestone (GBR), President and CEO of FOM

Start the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register before adding your comments.

Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.




© 1999 - 2017 Crash Media Group

The total or partial reproduction of text, photographs or illustrations is not permitted in any form.