Max Verstappen says he does not understand why Formula 1 needs to introduce the 'Halo' cockpit safety device for 2018, but respects the sport's decision to give it the green light.

The FIA announced last week that the Halo would be mandatory for all teams to use in 2018, causing a division in opinion in motorsport circles.

The F1 drivers were grilled about the decision during Thursday's FIA press conference ahead of the Hungarian Grand Prix, with Verstappen expressing his confusion over the Halo's introduction.

Related Articles

"I don't like it, but, of course, at the end of the day you have to respect the decision of the FIA," Verstappen said.

"I think since we introduced the virtual safety car, that reduced a lot of risk when you're speeding under the yellow flags in the race and also with the wheel tethers, they are quite strong at the moment so I don't think you will lose a wheel very easily.

"When there are parts flying around from the car, it's not going to protect you, so I don't really understand why we should need it."

Comments

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register to add your comment

As the crash report stated, Bianchi was driving to fast in appalling conditions under yellow flags, he hit a 6.5 ton digger, just missing marshals, the force lifted the digger off the ground, the Halo would not stand up to that, no wants to see a driver injured, but their has not !!! Been a massive amount of head injuries caused by flying debris, the Halo doesn't look like it would stop a small spring from hitting a driver.

0 votes
+
Vote up!
-
Vote down!

Totally agree with Max.

The Halo is S**t!

0 votes
+
Vote up!
-
Vote down!

Maybe you need to ask the families of drivers who died without the benefit of any protection. Max needs to discuss it with the Bianchi family.

0 votes
+
Vote up!
-
Vote down!