Ferrari Formula 1 junior Charles Leclerc remains eager to impress amid speculation that he could be set to claim a seat with Sauber for 2018.

Leclerc, 19, won last year’s GP3 Series and currently enjoys a 50-point advantage over the field in Formula 2, putting him in contention for a move up to F1 in the near future.

While seats on the grid are limited, a place could be free for the Monegasque racer at Sauber after Ferrari CEO Sergio Marchionne said an engine deal with the Swiss team may create space for junior drivers supported by the Italian marque.

Leclerc enjoyed his latest F1 run-out with Ferrari on Tuesday in Hungary, finishing as the fastest driver, but he refused to read too much into the times.

“It’s always important to impress anybody. But to be honest today it wasn’t really the main goal,” Leclerc said.

“The main goal was to get mileage in the car, try to do the best job I could for them and I hope they have seen some good bits about me.

“I’m satisfied. To be honest I still need to speak to my engineers to find out how satisfied they are with me and then I will be fully satisfied with myself.”

When asked about the Sauber links, Leclerc said: “Obviously I need to impress as many people as I can and I will give my best to do that

“Then if I have an opportunity at the end of the year I will grab it with two hands.

“But for now I am just focusing on Formula 2.”

"It’s always important to impress anybody. But to be honest today it wasn’t really the main goal.

"The main goal was to get mileage in the car, try to do the best job I could for them and I hope they have seen some good bits about me.”