Fernando Alonso claims his new McLaren Formula 1 deal announced on Thursday ahead of the United States Grand Prix is multi-year despite suggestions he may only sign a one-year extension to the end of 2018.

Alonso put an end to months of speculation about his future by confirming on Thursday he had signed a new contract with McLaren, locking him in for the 2018 season.

The Spaniard had stressed throughout 2017 he needed to be in a position to win races next year, leading to speculation he could look outside of F1 for a drive and to further his bid to win the Triple Crown of Motorsport, which features the Indianapolis 500 and 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Related Articles

With all 10 teams in F1 having at least one free seat for the 2019 season, a volatile driver market is expected next year, leading to suggestions Alonso may only sign a one-year extension with McLaren to put himself in the frame for any more attractive seat.

However, Alonso denied it was a one-year deal when asked directly in Thursday's FIA press conference about his new contract.

"We don't talk too much about the contracts, the insides. But no, it's not one year," Alonso said.

McLaren executive director Zak Brown confirmed last month the team had discussed the possibility of Alonso racing at Le Mans in 2018 as part of its contract discussions, but the two-time world champion stressed he remained focused on his duties in F1 despite holding an interest in other series.

"I think it's talking too much ahead of us. We have enough to do for next year to put McLaren again at the top of the grid," Alonso said.

"That's the first priority right now. On my personal side, there are no other priorities than Formula 1 at the moment, but with a door open for different series and different goals.

"I always believe you need to win in other series if you want to be a more complete driver and a better driver, because motorsport is not only Formula 1 only.

"Even if it's still the priority, we'll see what the future brings."