Red Bull Formula 1 boss Christian Horner doubts Ferrari will quit the sport despite its recent threats following sister brand Alfa Romeo’s return to the grid for 2018.

Alfa Romeo will be back racing in F1 next year after 32 years away thanks to a title sponsorship agreement with Sauber, which has expanded its technical partnership with Ferrari for 2018.

Ferrari chairman Sergio Marchionne said last month the Italian manufacturer could leave F1 if the sport’s new owner, Liberty Media, had unappealing plans moving forward.

Related Articles

Marchionne reiterated the quit threat at a press conference on Monday unveiling the new Alfa Romeo partnership with Sauber, but Horner feels the deal is proof Ferrari remains committed to F1.

“[Alfa Romeo] come under the same management as Sergio, so I can’t believe he’d have brought Alfa Romeo in for Ferrari to be leaving in a couple of years,” Horner said in an interview with Reuters.

“I think it demonstrates that Formula 1 is obviously working and creating the recognition.

“Otherwise the group wouldn’t have brought the Alfa brand into Formula 1.

“Formula 1 needs Ferrari and Ferrari needs Formula 1. It’s a marriage of convenience in many respects but both entities ultimately need each other.

“And we certainly want Ferrari in Formula 1. It’s one of the biggest brands in the world and they are a great team to compete against.”

Comments

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register to add your comment

Putting the Alfa Romeo brand in F1 keeps Fiat in the sport and leaves the door open for Ferrari to exit.

This looks like a real threat from Ferrari.

If FERRARI goes so does Alfa Romeo and anything to do with FERRARI. 

The spiceman need not worry about FERRARI, He needs worry about his engine supply when the Renault contract ends as nobody seems to want anything to do with his catpissinacan brand.