SRO, the organisers of the British F3 International Series and British GT Championship, have expressed a desire to retain rounds of the 2009 campaign at Donington Park, despite the ongoing issue regarding safety licences for the East Midlands venue.

Work to create a new tunnel to grant access to the infield between McLeans and Coppice had reduced run-off on the outside of the circuit and led to the MSA refusing to grant a safety licence to allow racing to take place - with Formula Palmer Audi and Britcar having already taken the decision to move their upcoming race meetings to other venues (More details HERE).

The British F3/GT package is due to visit Donington for its second round of the season later this month, with an FIA track inspection due to take place tomorrow [Tuesday] likely to go a long way to deciding if the event will take place on its due date of 25-26 April.

However, a spokesman for SRO revealed to that the organisation was keen to retain a meeting at Donington this season even it has to be moved to later in the year.

"We are currently waiting to see what happens on Tuesday before we can take any decision," he said during the season opener at Oulton Park. "We are keen to compete at Donington Park this season and, if we aren't able to race on our previously announced date, our preferred option would be to move the meeting to a date later in the year.

"Of course, there are other alternatives as well and if we are unable to race at Donington, we would look to run another meeting elsewhere. We wouldn't simply add races to other events previously announced."


Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register to add your comment