» BACK TO CRASH.NET

Crash.Net F1 News

Karthikeyan eager to retain HRT role

19 September 2012

Narain Karthikeyan says he is keen to stay with HRT for the 2013 F1 season.

The Indian racer rejoined the team at the start of the year having made his return to the grid with the Spanish squad in 2011 before being replaced for the final races of the campaign.

With HRT having undergone a series of changes this year, including moving to a new base in Madrid, Karthikeyan said he was keen to try and return next year if a deal can be struck with the Thesan-owned team.

“HRT has done a lot of investment,” he was quoted by the Press Trust of India. “We have a proper headquarter, proper factory now for the first time. We are trying to reap the benefits of these facilities for the next season with some good finishes. The management and I have very good rapport. Hopefully, we can work something out.

“I would like to stay at HRT. That's the plan and it seems good so far.”

So far this season Karthikeyan has struggled to match team-mate Pedro de la Rosa and only outqualified the Spaniard for the first time at Monza – having started the previous three races from dead last on the grid.

He did however admit that the fact he has missed practice sessions at recent events, where both Dani Clos and Ma Qing Hua have been given track time, had worked against him.

“From Silverstone onwards, I have been unlucky in missing practice one on Fridays while the second practice has been wet,” he said. “So to get one hour of practice on Saturday and then to compete against a fast guy like him is difficult and challenging.”


» BACK TO CRASH.NET