Carlos Sainz Jr has praised his team, 2013 champions DAMS, as he celebrated extending his title advantage in front of his home crowd in Motorland, Aragon.

Race one on Saturday saw the Spaniard secure the team's eighth consecutive pole position, adding to Kevin Magnussen's tally from last year, something he says stems from his assurance in the French outfit.

"This quite simply is a fantastic team; it always gives me an excellent car in which I can push really hard as I feel completely confident in it", he said shortly after yet another successful weekend for the Red Bull junior. The eighteen-year-old secured his second career victory on the Saturday but dropped down the order for race two, ending the race in fourth.

Related Articles

"Saturday's win was just a reward for them, but I'm disappointed with my Sunday", he admitted. "Even so, I scored good points for the championship and I'll go to Monaco in a relaxed frame of mind".

Francois Sicard, Managing Director of the 2013 title holders, matched the sentiments of his young driver, noting the positive atmosphere within the team.

"We are very satisfied with this weekend marked by another victory, another pole and Carlos taking over the lead in the championship", he said. "Bravo to the whole team who did a great job and, of course, to Carlos who again showed his exception brio and his intelligence in the context of the championship".

Sainz Jr will hope to emulate the dominant season of his predecessor, Magnussen who was only twice outside the points and did not once retire from a race. DAMS must maintain this reliability if they are to keep their ever-improving rivals at bay.

Formula Renault 3.5 will return on May 25th for the third round in Monaco.