GP2 » 28 February 2014
Cecotto Jr. returns to Trident for new season
Johnny Cecotto Jr. has opted to return to the Trident Racing team for the forthcoming GP2 Series season.
Trident Racing announced on Friday that it is to be reunited with former driver Johnny Cecotto Jr. for the forthcoming 2014 GP2 Series championship.
"I can't wait to start working with my new team," said Cecotto on Friday. "I have found people in Trident with whom I have a really good feeling and with great competences.
"My new engineers and mechanics have the same determination as me and the same desire to win so I am sure we will do a great job," he added.
The 24-year-old Venezuelan racer made his début in GP2 with David Price Racing in 2009 but then spent a year with Trident Racing in the GP2 Asia and GP2 Series, before subsequently moving on to full-season stints at Ocean Racing Technology, Barwa Addax Team and most recently Arden International.
After a strong year in 2012 which saw him win two feature races (at Monaco and Germany) along with two second places (at Silverstone and Monza), Cecotto's momentum stalled in 2013 with a troubled showing which included a one-race ban at Monaco after triggering a multi-car accident at Ste Devote in the feature race.
Cecotto eventually finished in 16th place in last year's championship compared with ninth place the year before, and didn't record a single podium finish all season making it a campaign to forget.
"After the last season, I really want to be back at the wheel to give my best to win," agreed Cecotto, who spent the post-season test sessions at Abu Dhabi last November trying out with Rapax and Venezuela GP Lazarus before deciding to return to Trident for 2014.
With pre-season testing starting in a little over a week, Trident's announcement means that 19 of the 26 available race seats for 2014 have now been filled. As well as the second seat at Trident, there remain vacancies still available at Carlin, Racing Engineering, Rapax and MP Motorsport, with Venezuela GP Lazarus also a complete blank slate at this stage.
Earlier this week, newly appointed Williams F1 test and reserve driver Felipe Nasr said that he hoped to return to the GP2 Series for a third season alongside his duties for the Grand Prix race team, although he did not indicate which of the feeder series squads he was in contact with over a possible race seat.
The 21-year-old Brazilian made his GP2 Series début with DAMS, and spent last year with Carlin on his way to finishing in fourth place in the drivers championship.
Confirmed drivers for 2014 - as of February 28
Russian Time: Mitch Evans, Artem Markelov
Carlin: Julián Leal
Racing Engineering: Raffaele Marciello
DAMS: Jolyon Palmer, Stéphane Richelmi
ART Grand Prix: Stoffel Vandoorne, Takuya Izawa
Hilmer Motorsport: Daniel Abt, Facu Regalia
Rapax: Simon Trummer
Arden International: Rene Binder, Andre Nagrao
EQ8 Caterham Racing: Rio Haryanto, Alexander Rossi
MP Motorsport: Daniel de Jong
Trident: Johnny Cecotto Jr.
Venezuela GP Lazarus: No drivers announced
Campos Racing: Arthur Pic, Kimiya Sato
Click on relevant pic to enlarge
Start the conversation - Add your comment
Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.