Pierre Gasly has been confirmed as the driver of Caterham Racing's #19 car for the remainder of the season, replacing his compatriot Tom Dillmann with immediate effect at this weekend's round at Monza.

"I am really excited to be driving in GP2 with Caterham Racing," said the 18-year-old Frenchman. "It is a new series for me and a great opportunity to race and gain experience in a different car and on F1 circuits."

The Red Bull Junior Team driver had been competing this year in the Formula Renault 3.5 Series with Arden Motorsport and is currently in third place in that championship after four podium successes in 11 races to date. Last year he won the Eurocup Formula Renault 2.0 title with Tech 1 Racing.

Related Articles

"For sure the GP2 car is going to be different to drive," he said. "It has more power than the Formula Renault 3.5 but has less aero. I will have to adapt my driving style, but that is my job and I will try to do this as quickly as I can."

"Pierre is a young, but exceptionally talented driver and we are delighted to welcome him to our team," said Caterham team principal Mia Sharizman on Tuesday. "It is definitely not going to be an easy step but we will make the transition as smooth as possible for Pierre and our experienced engineering team will guide him through the process. Now we just have to wait and see how he will adapt this weekend."

Gasly - who will be the youngest driver on the GP2 grid this weekend when he joins his new team mate Rio Haryanto for Saturday's feature race start - said that he was already busy preparing for his feeder series d?but.

"I have been to the factory to meet the team and I am looking forward to driving in Monza this weekend and working hard to show what I can do in this car," he revealed. "I watch the GP2 races and understand that you have to manage tyre degradation as the races are longer than I am used to, but it also means that if you look after your tyres you can make more overtaking moves, which should be fun."

Gasly will also continue his FR 3.5 campaign. He is taking over the GP2 race seat from Tom Dillmann, who announced on Monday via Twitter that he was now looking outside GP2 single-seaters for his next challenge.

"I had to make a choice and I won't be able to race GP2 in Monza," Dillmann posted on the social media site. "I will race in Magny-Cours in the Porsche as I look for my future."

Dillmann himself only joined Caterham in July, initially just for the race weekend at Hockenheim, following the exit from the team of American driver Alexander Rossi who left after the team was acquired by new owners. Rossi is now a test and reserve driver for the Marussia F1 team.

Another American GP2 driver, Conor Daly, also announced on Twitter this week that he will not be returning to his race team Venezuela GP Lazarus this weekend. It's not yet been announced who will be replacing him in the #25 car for the remainder of the season.

"Unfortunately I've been informed I wont be racing GP2 at Monza this weekend," he posted on Twitter. "I'm being replaced due to lack of funding. Gutted."

Daly has indicated that he is looking to possible race seats in the Verizon IndyCar Series for 2015, and last weekend attended this year's season finale at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, California. Daly made his maiden appearance in the US open wheel championship at last year's Indianapolis 500 for AJ Foyt Racing.

"Europe for the past four years has been an invaluable experience for me," said Daly. "It was a sacrifice well worth making because I know today that I am a better driver because of it. I'm ready for my future, whatever it may be.

"I want to be a professional race car driver and be in a position to take advantage of any opportunity that might come my way," he added.