IndyCar » Dallara shows off new chassis potential

IndyCar suppliers Dallara have unveiled the new chassis that will be available to teams in 2012, focussing on the customisation possibilities open to teams using aero kits.

Nanbawan - Unregistered

May 11, 2011 3:07 PM

Seems to be the dawn of "semi open wheel" racing. For some reason, I think that protecting wheels while leaving them uncovered to prevent all the known risks inherent to open wheels will make strides in other formulas in the future.

Don - Unregistered

May 11, 2011 3:55 PM

I like the road course aero kit, but the oval kit is a bit bizarre. Both will change significantly when the final versions arrive. The rear bumper is a good idea to prevent Mike Conway flying incidents. It probably will be used only on ovals and needs to be decreased in size for aesthetics. The rear wing looks like the proposed CDG F1 wing.

KGBVD - Unregistered

May 11, 2011 4:51 PM

It's nice to see that Indy has embraced those ridiculed in F1 circus show. Sponsorship, engines and aerokits from the Proton (nee Lotus) buffoons, and now all future cars will be HRTs.

I guess I could save myself the trouble of being interested in Indy and just pay attention to the backmarkers in F1.

And Don, the F1 CDG wing was to be in two pieces over the rear tires. The article's picture clearly shows (on both cars) one piece, centered rear wings, just like on all of today's open wheeled cars-- what are you smoking?

Maxx - Unregistered

May 11, 2011 6:00 PM

God, that lower car should be named Crapwagon 2. The drivers will need little ears on the top of their helmets, so, they can look like Batman.

shamarone - Unregistered

May 12, 2011 2:53 AM

actually, i'm rather chuffed. it's got a whole canard/delta thing going on like a rolling eurofighter or a dassault rafale... and anything that reminds me of a rafale is alright by me.

Honestly - Unregistered

May 12, 2011 6:20 PM

Has anybody figured in wind tunnel costs for the teams,the designs look like they are trying to look different just to look different.I can hear the high speed aero aspects discussions not to mention the high speed shunts coming thier way.

george - Unregistered

May 30, 2011 2:47 AM

Will the teams be permitted to design their own aero kits? I had recently seen an ad which featured a Penske Indy car. My thought was that this couldn't be a real Indy car - it looked like a Hot Wheels toy. I got on the web & it seems as though it was a real Indy car - so sad. The only series that appeals to me is F1 as each team must run its own design. Along with that I believe Adrian Newey is the biggest 'star' in racing - bar none. His designs have won with every team & series with which he has been associated.