IndyCar » Dan Wheldon: 1978-2011

Tributes pour in for Dan Wheldon, following his death at Las Vegas Motor Speedway

Filter Comments: All | Registered

Droog - Unregistered

October 17, 2011 1:39 PM

What the hell were 34 open-wheeled cars doing on a small (1.5mi) oval in the first place?
I've actually driven that track with the Richard Petty Driving Experience, and I can tell you that it's not huge as oval's go. On top of that, in an open wheeler, if you make the slightest contact with another car's wheel, you are going for a ride. And you have no protection when flying head first into the wall/fence. This track was designed for stock cars, with closed wheels and roll bar cages.
Being an F1 nut, I don't know much about him, but I truly respect the sheer guts that it takes to hop into one of these cars and drive competitively. May God rest his Soul.
However, I could think of worse ways to die, slowly wasting away in a hospital bed, or having to live after a severe stroke for instance. I would much rather go out doing something that I loved, a warrior.

ZeR0 Kun

October 17, 2011 2:25 PM

i wake up this morning, only to find out this sad news...
hats off to him and any other racers, who are willing to put their life on the line just to entertain fans like us.
RIP Dan... the racing world will never be the same place again.

JOHN - Unregistered

October 17, 2011 3:32 PM

I think I have seen and read somewhere that 'God only takes the best'. I am not religious but it has not been said for no reason. Today I am in a state of shock as is everyone else....Dan was the unassuming man who I really liked, to say I was delighted he won 'The Greatest Spectacle in Racing' (INDY 500) this year is understating all this. To end all this, I was however skeptical of this last 'showdown race' by the organizers. The prize money, the big entry field on a tight ridiculously fast speedway (initially I thought it was a flat road/ street course at Vegas). There is someone to blame for all this tragedy. My thoughts go to Dan's family. RIP Dan.

Gordon - Unregistered

October 17, 2011 6:28 PM

A real sad day for motorsport. Dan was a great asset to indycar and motorsport as a whole, will be greatly greatly missed. My thougts are with all his family at this sad time R.I.P Dan.

Martin - Unregistered

October 17, 2011 8:44 PM

Some beautiful words of tribute from across the racing family there. All shows just how respected and admired Dan was, and what a huge loss he is.

kyle - Unregistered

October 17, 2011 9:33 PM

Tragic event, great to see the high regard he was held with. Thought with his wife kids and wider family circle great win at indy forgive me if i am wrong but wasnt imdy his first race of the season