IndyCar » Wheldon memorial activities announced

Various means of remembering Dan Wheldon and providing for his family have been announced since Sunday's tragic events at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

Charlie67j - Unregistered

October 19, 2011 2:22 PM

There is almost never a box with $5million dollars sitting around in a prize like this. The organizers buy an insurance policy based on the odds of the feat being accomplished. I'm sure if there were actually $5 million sitting in a box ready to hand over, some or all would be donated.

Andrew - Unregistered

October 19, 2011 2:55 PM

Owen - thanks for highlighting the problem with the link, that's been looked into and should now be working okay. Apologies for any hassle in the meantime.

JOHN - Unregistered

October 19, 2011 3:50 PM

I am struggling to make sense of this. As if poor Dan's untimely passing was not bad enough, we are now seeing people are trying to raise funds for his family. Dan is an IndyCar champion and twice INDY500 winner, I would have thought he would be a millionaire so that would go to his wife and two young children. I maybe seriously mistaken here, it maybe that legal stuff is horribly complex, I don't know...Also what of the $5m prizefund at the showdown farce that killed him? It also grieves me that the 'smart guys' (like new Champ Franchitti) obviously backed off knowing the race was too dangerous. If money is indeed needed, I hope the IndyCar bosses and top drivers dig into their deep pockets

Oli - Unregistered

October 19, 2011 8:27 PM

Dan Wheldon's death was certainly very tragic and I understand a lot of people are feeling a lot of extreme emotion at the moment, but is a trust fund for his family really necessary?

Dan was a 2 time Indy 500 winner and an Indycar champ, I shouldn't imagine his wife and children have any financial worries, not to mention any life insurance payout.

I don't wish to sound disrespectful to his family, they will the ones to feel his loss most, but their loss will not be financial, it will be personal. A trust fund to help the families of amateur racers who don't earn anything but still face the same risks would make a much bigger difference to the lives of this affected by racing tragedies.

Oli

jackohhs1 - Unregistered

October 21, 2011 8:33 PM

Though you may not mean to sound disrespectful...you do. This is not something that Dan's wife or family asked for. This is something that is being done out of love and respect for a man that was a champion both on and off of the track. If you choose not to participate then that is what you should do. But please do not question those that are soing what they feel they must do.

Oli - Unregistered

October 21, 2011 10:35 PM

@jackohhs1

I disagree, I don't think it is disrespectful. I think it's a relevant point to make.

I completely agree with the many different tributes to Dan. A two-time Indy500 winner makes him a legend in the real sense of a much over-used word.

I'm just suggesting that this particular idea won't have much in the way of a positive effect for anyone. I don't imagine Dan's family needs money, his prize money from two Indy500 wins, his championship, his racing in between, will be very large. His family will already have a comfortable life with no need to work. Having even more money won't bring them any comfort.

However, if those funds went on, say some additional life-saving track-side medical facilities, it might save another racers life in the future. Surely a far better use of a fund?

Oli