IndyCar » Indy 500: Franchitti is three-time champ

Dario Franchitti claimed his third victory in the Indianapolis 500, finishing ahead of Scott Dixon and Tony Kanaan after a hot and wholly unpredictable 200-lap race.

cruachan - Unregistered

May 27, 2012 9:00 PM

Awesome drive from Dario to come from pretty much last of the runners after the first round of pitstops to win.

Great to see all the DW tributes as well. RIP Dan.

jessica - Unregistered

May 27, 2012 9:04 PM

Hmmm, Takuma Sato seemed to be saying in his post-race interview (reading between the lines) that Franchitti DID NOT move over and that's what caused him to go over the white line and crash. Franchitti himself referred to a "grey area" in the new rules about defending your position.

johnnymat

May 27, 2012 10:08 PM

Great drive by Dario to come from that far back.

That was an "optimistic" move by Sato. When I replayed it in slo-mo on my DVR , it didn't look like Dario chopped him. In fact, the right side of his car was up in the gray part of the track. I think it was a little bit of the "red mist" on Sato's part.

JoaoSousa

May 27, 2012 11:36 PM

It's becoming a recurring feature of the IndyCar Series: Dario Franchitti, or Mr. Perfect as he is known inside the IRL, chops another driver and goes unpunished. He's lucky Sato got out uninjured, or he'd be feeling a lot worse. Anyone remember St. Pete? The guy's a douche and a phony, and he makes me sick. Go back to sucking and barely qualifying at the Sprint Cup and to posting mid-pack places in Nationwide, the world would be better off that way.

This is close to being the last straw for me as far as watching IndyCar is concerned. I don't think I'll spend many more sundays watching a championship in which the rulebook is constantly rewritten to suit Mr. Franchitti's behaviour. I just hope Power wins it anyway. God, it would rock. And it would showcase the incompetence of the IRL, not even managing to get their guy to the title despite actively sabotaging other drivers.

JoaoSousa

May 28, 2012 12:33 AM

I don't give a crap whether it's a Chevy or a Honda or even a Lotus that wins. I just hate the way Dario always portrays himself as the good guy - when he's not, clearly not. And the fact that he's backed by the IRL establishment just makes it more sickening.

Don - Unregistered

May 28, 2012 1:49 AM

Terrific as usual, great drama. Glad no one got hurt.

Mike Conway has had a couple of wild crashes at Indy. The team didn't see that his front wing was damaged after he ran into two pit crew members on his last stop. They should have replace the damaged front nose section which caused the crash.

I would have loved to see Sato win. He obviously thought his best chance was to get Dario on the first corner of the last lap, but he should have waited one or two more. The way the tow was, even if Taku would have made the pass I think Dario would have got him back.

1 2  »