IndyCar » Lotus gets go-ahead for engine upgrades

The IndyCar Series has approved Lotus' request to make improvements to their engine, to make up for the unit's power deficiency compared with rivals Honda and Chevrolet.

Ricky - Unregistered

June 29, 2012 1:22 PM

I hope this allows Lotus to get competitive. I'd love to see a three way fight for the balance of the season, and Lotus add more teams next year.

OZFan - Unregistered

June 29, 2012 7:58 PM

@ Nanbawan:

Nissan (badged as Infinity) were an Indy Car engine supplier for five or six years. It was not an adequate marketing program for the brand, because they abandoned it after only a few years, after getting their rears severely kicked by General Motors' engine, badged as an Oldsmobile Aurora.

cruachan - Unregistered

June 29, 2012 9:43 PM

I do hope this restores some level of parity, I feel so sorry for Simona de Silvestro who was showing some promise at the start of last year. This year's car is so far off the pace it's impossible to judge.

Can't see Nissan moving into Indycars, they had a very big presence at Le Mans with the Deltawing and several LMP-2 cars. I could see a full factory move there, or possibly a racing version of the GT-R for customers

Nanbawan - Unregistered

June 29, 2012 10:46 PM

@OZfan

"As a brand Renault is not relevant in the US markets, because they not sell their products there."

I was actually thinking about a Nissan branded engine that could benefit Renault (Renault-Nissan alliance there) for their future turbo F1 engine. But I was daydreaming :blush:

OZFan - Unregistered

June 30, 2012 12:46 AM

@ Nanbawan:

I'd say that Nissan (Infinity) has had enough beating in the Indy Car arena. They're still sore now, 10 years after they left the series.

Infinity (Nissan's luxury brand) is now a strategic partner to Red Bull Racing in F1. I think that in the long term, this is investment is going to be more profitable for the Japanese-french conglomerate.

OZFan - Unregistered

June 30, 2012 4:31 AM

@ Gorbachov:

Good thing you mentioned the Circus subject.
If IndyCar is a horrible circus, then the Lotus engine program is but a pityfull clown in that silly circus. It doesn't makes you smile, but only fell sorry for them.

John - Unregistered

July 01, 2012 1:18 AM

Ozfan try reading things twice and have your dig at the original poster. Your digs at other posters are strange at best and smack of obnoxiousness. I hope Nissan and by Nissan I mean Nissan come back and kick ass. As for Indy I think I will stick to formula one