IndyCar » UK IndyCar coverage switches to ESPN

Sky Sports has confirmed that they no longer hold the rights to broadcast IndyCar races in the UK, and that rival sports network ESPN is to take over.

shaken - Unregistered

February 09, 2013 3:16 AM

Sad news and obviously all about money. As long as its possible to see the "Greatest Spectacle in Racing" (Indy500) in May on satellite I'll be happy enough but even this may not be possible....fingers crossed. Any what has Michael Andretti (correct me if Im mistaken its him in the photo) got to do with it?

shaken - Unregistered

February 09, 2013 3:16 AM

Thorborg - Unregistered

February 09, 2013 9:22 AM

Owen Hamilton - can you provide a link to that comment? I can't seem to find anything.

All I have heard is that they have the rights to show it Live but that is NOT the same as saying they will show it all live.

I remember Eurosport missing the first half a major CART race because a semi final in some under 21s African Cup football or some such big time football match ROFL went into extra time.

I expect the same shoddy treatment of Indycar by ESPN and that is not acceptable when I am paying 10 quid a month specifically to watch one sport.

Thorborg - Unregistered

February 09, 2013 2:07 PM

I think I've found the quote you were referring to.

Someone asked "Is your coverage Live" and the reply was "it certainly is".

That doesn't mean Jack sorry. It adds nothing to the story I heard that they have the Live rights but it will be scheduled around other sports. Indeed someone asked what would happen if it clashed with Italian or French football and there was no reply. Also no reply to comments about the channels future.

Given that Sky let you sub to ESPN a month at a time it is obvious what one must do. Look at the schedules and if it ain't live don't sub and if you are subbed you should cancel when they start pushing it to highlights.

Tod - Unregistered

February 10, 2013 3:06 PM

This is a huge pain in the bum for all Indy fans who now cannot watch something they like.
Everything is down to money now. There is no 'sport' involved in any form of so called Sport!
I am going to have to cut back on Sky soon to save money so will also lose F1 which i have followed since my teens. Big wrench as i am now over 60!

Thorborg - Unregistered

February 12, 2013 7:07 PM

"everything is down to money now"

The thing is if that were true at least I could pay the money (whilst squealing) and actually watch the races Live.

In this instance money or no money we are being flat out denied access to Live coverage.

I'd happily pay the ESPN subscription fee direct to Indycar or the US host broadcaster for a direct web stream.

We can't complain about having to pay for a sport with such low viewing figures but we have every right to complain when you pay for that coverage but have absolutely no guarantee of the level of coverage you will receive.

« 1 2 3  »