IndyCar » 2013 Indy 500: Tony Kanaan makes it to victory lane - at last!

Popular veteran racer Tony Kanaan finally made it onto victory lane in Indianapolis, after an impressive run in the Indy 500 that rarely saw him far away from the front.

Jim Clausen

May 27, 2013 12:45 AM

Glad to see Tony win.

As for the race itself, it sucked, as pretty much all Indy 500 for the last 10 years or so have. Such high downforce no car can get away from another car. 68 contrived passes for the lead. Race finished under a yellow. Great American race, my a$$. Brazilian driver, in an Italian chassis, with an English engine crosses the finish line at 120 mph for the win. Tony George started the IRL to promote American drivers and American racing. Tony, you're a genius!

Jim Clausen

May 27, 2013 1:08 AM

Americans, which I am, seem to have a liking for spec cars with contrived finishes, brought about by bunching cars up with yellow flags. Personally, I liked the Indy 500s of yesteryear, Offys, Fords, Novis, turbines, numerous specialty built chassis, Eagle, McLaren, Coyote, Brawner, Lotus, World Champion drivers competing. It was quite a spectacle then. It even took the Brits to show us which end the engine belonged on. I used to spend the month of May completely wrapped up in the daily ongoings at Indy. Rookie orientation, Practice. Qualifying. Carburation day. Now I don't even watch the race in its entirety.

Banditfan

May 27, 2013 4:10 AM

Don,
I agree. I was really looking forward to see what Munoz could do in the last 2 laps, sadly it ended under yellow. Deserved win by Kanaan though and an awesome performance by the rookie Munoz. 68 lead changes! What a race.

walrus909

May 28, 2013 12:39 PM

To bad Tony's win will always have an asterisk- under yellow. Two more laps and there would have been at least 5 more lead changes. Munez said it right, not fair to end that way, he was in it all day. I still say Dario threw the race for his old buddy

walrus909

May 29, 2013 7:19 PM

SP3, I don't care what NASCASH does, I lost my respect for them decades ago. My point is Tony had eleven chances to win before and did'nt, and he knows himself that it was just pain luck or Dario helped him.
On the other hand if it went green to finish, he might also had the last pass, we'll never know. He's the one who has to live with it asterick or not.