IndyCar » 2013 Indy 500: Tony Kanaan makes it to victory lane - at last!

Popular veteran racer Tony Kanaan finally made it onto victory lane in Indianapolis, after an impressive run in the Indy 500 that rarely saw him far away from the front.

Banditfan

May 27, 2013 4:10 AM

Don,
I agree. I was really looking forward to see what Munoz could do in the last 2 laps, sadly it ended under yellow. Deserved win by Kanaan though and an awesome performance by the rookie Munoz. 68 lead changes! What a race.

fairlyoldguy - Unregistered

May 27, 2013 4:47 PM

Several comments must be made: First, thankfully there is no NASCAR-style green-white-checker in Indy Car racing. Secondly, despite there being a stretch of 130 or so green flag laps, there were 19 cars on the lead lap at the finish, a good argument for spec racing, of which more anon. Third, the race was covered here in the States by ABC (Always Bad Coverage). Saavedra's accident was caused by a chop move by another driver which they were about to cover when they went to various other things, including an interview with NASCAR driver Brad Keselowski.I do not believe that they ever did tell us who chopped Saavedra. And also,ABC only covered what went on with the drivers at the front of the field, never telling us why such-and-such driver had dropped off the lead lap,etc. (Always Bad Coverage).
Now, on to the eternal debate over spec racing versus technical innovation. Would it help you to know that my favorite racing formula of all time was the 2.5 litre GP formula of 1954-61, which sa

fairlyoldguy - Unregistered

May 27, 2013 5:03 PM

Well, it appears that my comment was cut off mid sentence. So, as I was saying, my favorite all-time formula was the 2.5 litre GP rules of 1954-61 which saw engines of 4,6,8 and 12 cylinders, a transition from wire wheels and drum brakes to alloy wheels and disc brakes, and, most important, a transition from front-engined to mid-engined cars. So ,I remember with great fondness the CART of past years, which had 3-4 engines and 2-4 chassis,even a tire war for a while. It is after all, automobile racing, not driver racing! However, in many CART races, the back-markers were well off the pace of the leaders. What we need is someone with the wisdom of King Solomon to come in and make a set of rules which would allow for close racing, yet give room for greater differences in cars.

piercarlogassolini - Unregistered

May 28, 2013 9:28 AM

great race, great coverage as far as I'm concerned. Monaco bored me so much I listened to most of it on the radio while I painted my shed, I had a dodgy streaming feed for Indy but couldn't take my eyes off it.

walrus909

May 28, 2013 12:39 PM

To bad Tony's win will always have an asterisk- under yellow. Two more laps and there would have been at least 5 more lead changes. Munez said it right, not fair to end that way, he was in it all day. I still say Dario threw the race for his old buddy

SP3 - Unregistered

May 29, 2013 1:26 PM

walrus909, you will be the only one putting the asterisk next to anyone winning under yellow. well, you and any other fool that likes the contrived finishes that come from the idiotic nascrap green/white/checker nonsense. maybe the thing to do is go with g/w/c but with everyone having to put on sticker tires, fill their tanks completely, and restart in grid form with the cars in their current positions. have I missed anything?

walrus909

May 29, 2013 7:19 PM

SP3, I don't care what NASCASH does, I lost my respect for them decades ago. My point is Tony had eleven chances to win before and did'nt, and he knows himself that it was just pain luck or Dario helped him.
On the other hand if it went green to finish, he might also had the last pass, we'll never know. He's the one who has to live with it asterick or not.

SP3 - Unregistered

May 30, 2013 12:33 AM

so then you would agree that Frank Lockhart, Johnnie Parsons, Gordon Johncock, Bobby Unser, Johnny Rutherford, Buddy Rice, and Dario Judd didn't win either since those races were shortened as well?

red flag and restart, green/white/checker, whatever - they're all gimmicks that doesn't belong in racing.

« 1 2