F1 » Drivers concerned over Friday punctures

Pirelli was thrust back into the F1 spotlight after a series of tyre issues marked Friday practice at Spa-Francorchamps.

JACKBEE

August 24, 2013 8:27 AM

I really do hope that Pirelli are getting a load of money from somewhere for their participation in F1, because for sure they are not getting good publicity with the general public.

Taipan

August 24, 2013 8:50 AM

I hope the tyres are ok, we don't need another shambles.

Talking of shambles, I watched the BBC coverage of P1 and P2 for the first time in a while and James Allen is commentating!

"Spa is a high downforce circuit" - Really?

"Lewis is flying now, this looks much faster" - 6.5 seconds off the pace.

BBC please put him back in the do not use box, stick Suzy Perry in there while you're at it.

rou

August 24, 2013 8:51 AM

A tyre blowout at a circuit like Spa could carry a lot worse consequences then we saw in Silverstone, hopefully it was just an isolated incident. I just wish they would give Pirelli permission to create a longer lasting tyre so drivers could push without them falling apart.

107SS2009

August 24, 2013 9:20 AM

Taipan, JA?, you might not remember it but there was a time when he use to salivate at the mouth, but some say he used to wet himself when commenting about Lulu, anyhow he was the one that pushed the term “COLD BLOWING” at the time of the controversial exhaust blowing of the diffuser and I told him right on his blog that in all my years around engines I never came upon cold exhaust gasses.
Re the down force at SPA, whatever the level of down force a team might run there is a particular place that will add/load an additional something like 600kg on the side were Vettel got his puncture.

Objective

August 24, 2013 9:20 AM

I can't believe that we are still stuck with pneumatic tyres after all these years. Surely a premier racing series like F1 could be used to develop alternate, safer technologies. Given the consequences of blow-outs are so serious other options should be considered.

Taipan

August 24, 2013 9:52 AM

Sunny, I always hated JA as a commentator, no technical knowledge, he would miss even the most obvious strategy changes and he would get completely carried away with his favouritism towards one driver.

I also remember this one...

JA interviewing Ralf Schumacher asked ...

"What does it feel like being rammed up the backside by Barrichello?"

I think he was fantasising....

ghog

August 24, 2013 10:00 AM

LOL Tai!

Just spotted on BBC F1 site -
" They found a piece of tungsten in the kerbs on the exit of the Fagnes left-hander, otherwise known as Turn 13.
The right rear tyre of the cars would run over this kerb as they exited that corner, which immediately precedes the Stavelot and Paul Frere corners where the failures on the cars of Alonso and Vettel were discovered.
The piece of metal was exactly the same size as the hole that was punctured in Alonso's tyre and a similar diameter to the width of the longitudinal cut around part of the circumference of Vettel's tyre. "

VERY unusual to find this material in a Kerb stone.

Years ago I was a Welder and we used Tungsten Electrodes for Tig Welding I wonder if this could be one of those?

richard

August 24, 2013 11:07 AM

ghog. so are you saying that you left it there when welding the kerbstones together?

seriously, I cannot recall from my school day science,but is tungsten not a natural element and could be found in stone anyway?
because a piece was the same sixe as thehole in ferdis car, does not prove that it was the cause, and how could it be matched up with cuts in vettels tyre? the tyre was virtually destroyed when he came into the pits, and the carcase was exposed in parts, showing evidence of some delamination.

107SS2009

August 24, 2013 11:38 AM

I agree with Richard, at least on Vettel's car it all points to delaminating.
Ghog, tungsten welding rods! I use them frequently, anyhow they could have been used on track furniture but as it has been confirmed that the peace came out of KR's car it must belong to balance weights and if so is Russian material as that's what they all use it being reputed to be the densest.
And what's with Lulu, was he driving on a patch of ice?.

1 2  »