The Indianapolis Motor Speedway is teaming with the American Red Cross through an online auction and Brickyard Authentics retail store price reduction to encourage race fans to contribute to relief efforts for Haitian earthquake victims, it has been announced.
Thousands were killed and injured when a massive earthquake struck January 12 near Port-au-Prince, Haiti. The catastrophic damage destroyed the infrastructure of the capital of the Caribbean island nation, creating an urgent need for funds for water, food, medical services and temporary shelter.
“Our hearts go out to every resident of Haiti and the family members living around the world who are mourning the loss of loved ones,” said Mari Hulman George, chairman of the Board of Directors, Indianapolis Motor Speedway. “I encourage everyone in the racing community - fans, teams, sponsors and officials alike - to support the efforts to bring relief to this devastated nation.
“The support from around the world is an encouraging sight, and I hope our efforts will likewise make a difference for the people of Haiti.”
An eBay auction of autographed racing memorabilia began on Friday January 15, with all proceeds being donated to American Red Cross relief efforts in Haiti. Items will be designated as part of the Haiti relief programme. Initial items being auctioned at http://shop.ebay.com/ims_online/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25
* A helmet signed by nearly the entire starting field of the 2009 Indianapolis 500;
* 2010 Indianapolis 500 cap signed by three-time winner Helio Castroneves;
* A replica Indianapolis 500 milk bottle featuring the 2009 event logo, signed by Castroneves;
* An IMS Centennial Era cap signed by four-time Indianapolis 500 winner A.J. Foyt and A.J. Foyt Racing driver Vitor Meira;
* An IMS Centennial Era cap signed by three-time Indy 500 winner Johnny Rutherford;
* An enlarged 2008 Indianapolis 500 replica ticket signed by 2007 Indy 500 winner Dario Franchitti.
More items will be added to the auction soon.
Fans visiting Brickyard Authentics retail locations at the IMS Hall of Fame Museum and Indianapolis International Airport meanwhile will receive a 20 percent savings on any purchase with a donation of $5 or more to the American Red Cross canisters located near the register. This programme is valid at the retail stores only.