IndyCar »

HVM signs with Lotus for 2012 engines

HVM Racing has become the latest IndyCar team to sign up with sports car manufacturer Lotus for its supply of engines for the 2012 season.
Lotus have signed an engine supply deal with HVM Racing for the new season in 2012, when the series switches to a new engine specification.

"Once it was apparent that Lotus would produce an engine, it was a clear decision for us to run with them," said Keith Wiggins, the team owner of HVM Racing.

HVM is the first established, existing IndyCar team to sign up with Lotus. Michael Shank Racing announced in October that it would be entering the IZOD IndyCar Series in 2012 and said in passing at the time that it would be running with Lotus engines, although no further details were made available.

"I have great respect, confidence and enthusiasm in the product they will produce," said Wiggins. "Being the first team to commit reflects this and being an integral part of the Lotus development process is important to the re-establishment of HVM as a leading team, this time in the IZOD IndyCar Series."

The team is also taking on the Lotus name, and will be called Lotus HVM Racing in 2012. Simona de Silvestro is expected to continue driving for the team, which will also continue its existing partnership with Entergy Nuclear and the Nuclear Clean Air Energy campaign.

"We are delighted to be partnering with such a well-established and ambitious team as HVM," said Miodrag Kotur, Group Lotus Director of Motorsports Operations. "We're pleased that HVM has shown such faith in Lotus at the start of a new chapter of our commitment to the IZOD IndyCar Series."

After six years of Honda exclusivity in engine supply, 2012 will see Lotus join Honda and Chevrolet competing for victory lane. Honda's stable of teams is led by the four-car Ganassi Racing team including current champion Dario Franchitti, while Chevrolet's return to IndyCar is being spearheaded by Roger Penske's three-car line-up consisting of Will Power, Ryan Briscoe and Helio Castroneves.

Lotus was the last engine supplier to announce its intention to enter IndyCar with the new engine specification, and has been slow to sign up deals with teams since then - leading some teams to look elsewhere as they feared that Lotus might not be able to deliver in time.

"We have been working tirelessly on our engine program since we announced our intention to produce a new engine in line with the new rules and direction of the series," explained Kotur. "We believe that our efforts will pay dividends as the numbers that are coming from our dyno testing are extremely encouraging.

"We have also managed to produce a very light power-plant, in the true spirit of Lotus. However, we are keen to test the package on-track and look forward to our first test in early January, slightly later than originally planned but designed to give us more time to fine-tune our package before taking to the track."

Further rumours suggest that Lotus may also be about to announce an engine supply deal with Bryan Herta Autosport in the coming weeks.



Related Pictures

Click on relevant pic to enlarge
Simona de Silvestro excited to get the season started. [Picture credit: IndyCar Media]
Back in action after last week`s immigration problems, Simona de Silvestro heads out from pit road during Friday practice on the streets of Baltimore - September 2011. [Photo Credit: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media]
Simona de Silvestro [Picture credit: IndyCar media]
Sebastien Bourdais with his son after winning Race 1 of the Honda Indy Toronto. (Photo by: Shawn Gritzmacher for IndyCar Media)
The red flag is waived halting attempts to start Race 1 of the Honda Indy Toronto on Saturday. (Photo by: Chris Owens for IndyCar Media)
Mike Conway and Team Owner Ed Carpenter celebrate victory in Race 2 of the Honda Indy Toronto (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Sebastien Bourdais gets a congratulatory hug from team co-owner Kevin Kalkhoven after winning Race 1 of the Honda Indy Toronto (Photo by: Chris Owens for IndyCar Media)
Chevrolet sweeps the podium with winner Mike Conway (center), driver of the #20 Fuzzy`s Ultra Premium Vodka / Ed Carpenter Racing Chevrolet IndyCar V6, celebrating his victory Sunday, July 20, 2014 during the second of two IndyCar Series races through the streets of Exhibition Place, in Toronto, Canada. Tony Kanaan (left), driver of the #10 Target Chip Ganassi Racing Chevrolet celebrates his second-place finish. Will Power, driver of the #12 Verizon Team Penske Chevrolet celebrates his third-place finish. (Photo by Phillip Abbott/LAT for Chevy Racing)
Mike Conway, driver of the #20 Fuzzy`s Ultra Premium Vodka / Ed Carpenter Racing Chevrolet IndyCar V6, celebrates his victory Sunday, July 20, 2014 during the second of two IndyCar Series races through the streets of Exhibition Place, in Toronto, Canada. (Photo by Phillip Abbott/LAT for Chevy Racing)
Mike Conway, driver of the #20 Fuzzy`s Ultra Premium Vodka / Ed Carpenter Racing Chevrolet IndyCar V6, takes the chequered flag while racing to victory Sunday, July 20, 2014 during the second of two IndyCar Series races through the streets of Exhibition Place, in Toronto, Canada. (Photo by Michael L. Levitt/LAT for Chevy Racing)
Mike Conway, driver of the #20 Fuzzy`s Ultra Premium Vodka / Ed Carpenter Racing Chevrolet IndyCar V6, races to victory Sunday, July 20, 2014 during the second of two IndyCar Series races through the streets of Exhibition Place, in Toronto, Canada. (Photo by Phillip Abbott/LAT for Chevy Racing)
Mike Conway on his way to victory in the second round of the Honda Indy Toronto doubleheader on Sunday July 20 2014. (Photo by: Joe Skibinski for IndyCar Media)
Mike Conway jumps for joy after the second round of the Honda Indy Toronto doubleheader on Sunday July 20 2014. (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Mike Conway with the winner`s flag after the second round of the Honda Indy Toronto doubleheader on Sunday July 20 2014. (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Mike Conway, Tony Kanaan and Will Power celebrate on the podium after the second round of the Honda Indy Toronto doubleheader on Sunday July 20 2014. (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Mike Conway receives the winner`s trophy after the second round of the Honda Indy Toronto doubleheader on Sunday July 20 2014. (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Mike Conway, Tony Kanaan and Will Power pose for a selfie on the podium after the second round of the Honda Indy Toronto doubleheader on Sunday July 20 2014. (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Tony Kanaan and Will Power pose for a selfie on the podium after the second round of the Honda Indy Toronto doubleheader on Sunday July 20 2014. (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)

Start the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register before adding your comments.

Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.




© 1999 - 2014 Crash Media Group

The total or partial reproduction of text, photographs or illustrations is not permitted in any form.