While there has been no confirmation yet that Rubens Barrichello has made any definite decision about his racing future, the Brazilian F1 veteran is sending out strong signals about his intentions by agreeing to climb into an IndyCar cockpit once more at the end of next week.

KV Racing Technology confirmed on their Twitter feed that Barrichello will join EJ Viso for more testing of the new DW12 Dallara-Chevrolet car at Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, California for the weekend of February 25/26.

Barrichello joined his close friend Tony Kanaan for two days of testing at Sebring International Raceway at the end of January, and liked it so much that he ended up extending his stay with the team an extra day.

Agreeing to return for another two-day stint in the 2012 IndyCar certainly seems to send out strong signals that Barrichello is seriously considering accepting a ride in the series. Kanaan has suggested that Barrichello is very much sold on the idea, assuming all the details come together in time.

"I've been racing 19 years in F1, but this would be something I would have to do without any experience. It would be fascinating," Barrichello told reporters last week. "It would be a great challenge."

The two key issues Barrichello has to sort out before anything official can be announced remain finding the money - and persuading his family.

"Everybody is in a hurry to try to find the money," revealed Barrichello. "It's still unknown if it's going to happen. You have to remember that it all happened in the last minute. There are still minor details that need to be resolved."

"It's like we did last year with Tony," said KVRT team manager Mark Johnson. "We all sat around a table and said, 'You in? You in? You in?' And we made it happen." Kanaan's deal eventually came together just two days before the start of the 2011 season.

Then there is still the small matter of the long-standing promise Barrichello made to his wife Silvana that he would never race on ovals. "I've been talking a lot with my wife," he admitted. "I saw the look in her eyes [during the Sebring tests] and I could hear her saying something along the lines: 'Oh no, it's going to start all over again.'"

At least his two sons aren't a problem to win over to the idea: "One of them already wants to know which number I'll be using and the other wants to know the colour of the car!"

There's still the possibility that Barrichello might opt to run on road and street courses only, like Sebastien Bourdais did in 2011. Notably, Barrichello won't be joining Kanaan for the team's test on the 1.5-mile oval Texas Motor Speedway on February 21.

But that option doesn't sit well with Barrichello, who will be 40 in May just four days before the first oval race of 2012 - the legendary Indianapolis 500.

"I don't think I would feel good to be back in Brazil watching these races from TV," he said. "I would feel better being there, taking the risk and having fun."

The subject of Rubens' potential switch to the series inevitably came up throughout the State of IndyCar media event in Indianapolis on Monday evening.

"To have Rubens in this series would be great," said current series champion Dario Franchitti. "He'll be a guy you have to beat week in, week out, and also he'll lift KV up, giving Tony someone to bounce ideas off."

"It will be great to have him. I hope it comes together," said Penske's Helio Castroneves, who had admired Barrichello's touch with the new carbon brakes during the previous tests at Sebring.

There was no confirmation of any imminent deal on the night, however. "It's not put together yet," admitted Kanaan, before adding: "But it can be, and I think we'll get there."

The only man who might know, team boss Jimmy Vasser, was staying tight lipped.

"There will be no wine before it's time," he teased, but it was with the smile of someone who knew that the time was getting close. "We're good to go ... Well, sooner or later we will be."