IndyCar »

Newman/Haas set to run Jean Alesi in Indy 500

Reports say that former F1 driver Jean Alesi has signed a deal with Newman/Haas Racing to compete in next month's Indianapolis 500.
Just days after it appeared that Jean Alesi's hoped-for bid to enter the 2012 Indianapolis 500 had fallen through, reports have emerged that the 47-year-old French-Sicilian has signed a deal with Newman/Haas Racing to participate in next month's event.

The report initially appeared in an article in French motorsports publication AUTOHebdo on Wednesday, although no further details were given.

However on Thursday Autosport.com appeared to confirm the report, quoting Alesi himself as saying that he had signed a deal with Carl Haas' team the previous day. SPEED.com also said that the news had been confirmed to them by "multiple sources."

The news is a surprise, and not just because of the lack of prepared Lotus engines available heading into next month's event especially after the manufacturer had two units unexpectedly fail last weekend at Barber Motorsports Park.

Alesi's hopes of entering the Indy 500 appeared to take a blow earlier this week after the Indianapolis Star quoted HVM Racing team owner Keith Wiggins as seemingly ruling out a second car for Alesi with his team alongside regular driver Simona de Silvestro.

"There's not enough money to do it," Wiggins was reported as saying, although IZOD IndyCar Series CEO Randy Bernard had later insisted that Alesi's participation in the Indy 500 was still very much in play.

Newman/Haas Racing's arrival on the scene is also unexpected, after the team pulled out of US open wheel racing at the end of the 2011 season citing difficulties arising from the world financial situation.

"The economic climate no longer enables Newman/Haas Racing to participate in open wheel racing at this time," said team owner and co-founder Carl Haas at the time, seemingly ruling out even a one-off entry into the Indy 500 in 2012 as the team had not bought a new DW12 chassis or have any engine deals in place.

The team's 33 employees working on IndyCar projects were reportedly either loaned out to Dragon Racing or let go at the start of December, with drivers Oriol Servia and James Hinchcliffe going on to Dreyer & Reinbold Racing and Andretti Autosport respectively. Last year, Servia qualified on the front row of the grid for the centennial Indy 500 with Newman/Haas.




Related Pictures

Click on relevant pic to enlarge
Jean Alesi (ITA), Bahrain F1 Grand Prix, Sakhir, Bahrain, 24-26th, April, 2009
Mikhail Aleshin waits on pitlane prior to practice at Long Beach (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Carlos Munoz waits on pit lane in Long Beach (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
The crew of Mikhail Aleshin go to work in the pits (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Will Power and Carlos Munoz flank winner Mike Conway during their victory lap (Photo by: Chris Owens for IndyCar Media)
Carlos Huertas (Photo by: John Cote for IndyCar Media)
Jack Hawksworth enters the hairpin during practice at Long Beach (Photo by: John Cote for IndyCar Media)
Carlos Huertas waits on pitlane prior to the start (Photo by: Chris Owens for IndyCar Media)
Scott Dixon rolls out of pitlane during the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (Photo by: Chris Owens for IndyCar Media)
Carlos Munoz with a champagne surprise (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Mike Conway celebrating his victory (Photo by: Chris Owens for IndyCar Media)
Carlos Munoz, Mike Conway and Will Power celebrate on the podium after the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Carlos Munoz, Mike Conway and Will Power celebrate on the podium after the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Mike Conway celebrates victory in the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Mike Conway celebrates victory in the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Mike Conway in action in the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (Photo by: Chris Owens for IndyCar Media)
Mike Conway poses for pictures after victory in the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Mike Conway poses for pictures after victory in the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register before adding your comments.

Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.




© 1999 - 2014 Crash Media Group

The total or partial reproduction of text, photographs or illustrations is not permitted in any form.