IndyCar »

Jourdain confirmed for Indy 500 bid

Rahal Letterman Lanigan have confirmed that they are giving Michel Jourdain Jr. a chance to make the starting grid in next month's Indianapolis 500.
Former Champ Car veteran racer Michel Jourdain Jr. is to return to US open wheel racing for the first time since 2004 with a one-off deal for this year's Indianapolis 500, Rahal Letterman Lanigan confirmed on Tuesday.

"I am pleased to have Michel back with the team," said team co-owner Bobby Rahal. “When we were last together we had a lot of success and I don't see any reason why we can't continue that."

The Mexican driver had a nine-year CART/Champ Car World Series career with teams including Team Rahal, Payton/Coyne Racing and RuSport before he headed off to race more recently in WTCC, A1GP and WRC, as well in NASCAR in both the Camping World Truck and Nationwide Series.

“I am extremely happy about this new opportunity,” said Jourdain. "I know it is a huge challenge to drive at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway after so long and with this type of cars, but I hope that I will feel at home in a few days.”

In fact, despite his considerable prior experience in Champ Car which consists of 152 race starts, Jourdain has only ever competed once before in the Indianapolis 500 itself - way back in 1996. That's because of the rift that was raging at the time between CART and the Indy Racing League that held the rights to stage the Greatest Spectacle in Motorsport.

As a result, while Jourdain is not listed as a rookie for this year's Indy 500, he will be asked to participate in a "refresher" course on May 10 that will run alongside the official Rookie Orientation Program. He will drive the #30 car powered by Honda and sponsored by Office Depot Mexico, with associate sponsorship from Roshfrans, Grupo Indi and Grupo Multi.

“I am extremely happy about this new opportunity,” said the 35-year-old, who has been at the two street course races held so far in 2012 at St Petersburg and Long Beach and getting to know the scene again, as well as reuniting with some old and familiar faces up and down pit lane.

"I walked in the paddock and saw all my friends," he said. "I felt like I had been away just for a few months, but it is actually eight years, and that is a lot. I have been working out harder than ever, to make sure I am as fit as possible.

“I have only competed in the Indy 500 once in 1996, but you can always see that this race is the best," he continued. "I feel this is the best chance for me to come back strong. Everybody in the team knows that it will take some time for me to re-adapt to this type of cars and racing."




Related Pictures

Click on relevant pic to enlarge
Team owner Bobby Rahal on the pit wall at Barber Motorsports Park [Picture credit: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media]
The start of the 2011 Indianapolis 500 on Sunday, May 29. [Picture credit: Larry Seidman for IndyCar Media]
Michael Jourdain Jr on pit road (Photo Credit: Padraic Major/NASCAR)
Mikhail Aleshin waits on pitlane prior to practice at Long Beach (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Carlos Munoz waits on pit lane in Long Beach (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
The crew of Mikhail Aleshin go to work in the pits (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Will Power and Carlos Munoz flank winner Mike Conway during their victory lap (Photo by: Chris Owens for IndyCar Media)
Carlos Huertas (Photo by: John Cote for IndyCar Media)
Jack Hawksworth enters the hairpin during practice at Long Beach (Photo by: John Cote for IndyCar Media)
Carlos Huertas waits on pitlane prior to the start (Photo by: Chris Owens for IndyCar Media)
Scott Dixon rolls out of pitlane during the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (Photo by: Chris Owens for IndyCar Media)
Carlos Munoz with a champagne surprise (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Mike Conway celebrating his victory (Photo by: Chris Owens for IndyCar Media)
Carlos Munoz, Mike Conway and Will Power celebrate on the podium after the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Carlos Munoz, Mike Conway and Will Power celebrate on the podium after the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Mike Conway celebrates victory in the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Mike Conway celebrates victory in the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Mike Conway in action in the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (Photo by: Chris Owens for IndyCar Media)

Start the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register before adding your comments.

Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.




© 1999 - 2014 Crash Media Group

The total or partial reproduction of text, photographs or illustrations is not permitted in any form.