IndyCar »

No extra race to replace China, says IndyCar

The IZOD IndyCar Series will not be replacing the abandoned China street race and will instead remain at 15 races for the 2012 season, organisers have announced.
The IZOD IndyCar Series has given up on plans to find a replacement race following the decision to cancel the Indy Qingdao 600 event in China originally planned for August 19, and has instead announced that the season finale race will now be an extended 500 mile event at Auto Club Speedway, Fontana.

"After carefully considering all possible options for an additional race, we felt it was in our best interest to keep our schedule at its current 15-event lineup," said IndyCar's CEO Randy Bernard.

The street course event in the port city of Qingdao was called off two weeks ago following a change in local government, which saw the new mayor decide that he did not want to event to coincide with the city's International Beer Festival after all. No alternative replacement dates could be agreed between the venue, the promoters and the IndyCar series.

Since then, series CEO Randy Bernard has been urgently seeking a replacement event to fill the gap left by the cancellation. It's thought that many of the key contracts for the series - such as deals with TV networks and the series' entitlement sponsor IZOD - had stipulated a minimum of at least 16 events.

However the late cancellation made it very difficult to work around already scheduled events. One possibility - an outing at Laguna Seca - would have meant four IndyCar events this season in the already saturated Californian market.

Texas Motor Speedway president Eddie Gossage had also been quick to rule out a rapid return to the 1.5-mile oval for a second event in 2012 when the suggestion was made: "We couldn't justify dividing resources between the two events to make it happen and it would be an injustice to both due to the scheduling," said Gossage, after the possibility arose.

There was too little time to organise any temporary street course events, while the lack of lead-in time for promotion and ticket sales also made it difficult to find a suitable venue. Even the series' spiritual home, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, was unwilling to host a second round in 2012, even at the suggestion of preserving the uniqueness of IndyCar's tentpole event - the Indianapolis 500 - by switching to the venue's road course configuration used by MotoGP, Grand-AM and previously by F1.

In the end the fan favourite to host an extra event was Road America at Elkhart Lake, which this weekend hosted Grand-AM and NASCAR Nationwide races - including a maiden series victory for Nelson Piquet Jr. But the American Le Mans Series August schedule at Road America and disagreements over the fees for holding the event at such short notice meant that even this possibility seemed to fade in the last few days.

"It's a long shot. I don't know what's going to happen," Road America President George Bruggenthies had said of his most recent discussions with Bernard leading up to this weekend. "It's up to him; he's got other options."




Related Pictures

Click on relevant pic to enlarge
Randy Bernard at the announcement of the GoDaddy.com IndyCar Challenge. [Photo Credit: Jim Haines for IndyCar Media]
Matt Brabham tests with Andretti Autosport at Iowa Speedway
Matt Brabham tests with Andretti Autosport at Iowa Speedway
Matt Brabham tests with Andretti Autosport at Iowa Speedway
INDYCAR CEO Mark Miles at the podium during the 2014 INDYCAR Championship Celebration (Photo by: Chris Owens for IndyCar Media)
Ryan Briscoe wrecks after contact with Ryan Hunter-Reay in the closing laps of the MAVTV 500 at Auto Club Speedway (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Ryan Briscoe wrecks after contact with Ryan Hunter-Reay in the closing laps of the MAVTV 500 at Auto Club Speedway (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Ryan Briscoe wrecks after contact with Ryan Hunter-Reay in the closing laps of the MAVTV 500 at Auto Club Speedway (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Ryan Briscoe wrecks after contact with Ryan Hunter-Reay in the closing laps of the MAVTV 500 at Auto Club Speedway (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Ryan Briscoe wrecks after contact with Ryan Hunter-Reay in the closing laps of the MAVTV 500 at Auto Club Speedway (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Helio Castroneves leads the field down the frontstretch during the MAVTV 500 at Auto Club Speedway (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Scott Dixon, driver of the #9 Degree Chip Ganassi Racing Chevrolet V6 IndyCar, raced to a sixth-place finish Saturday, June 27, 2015, in the Verizon IndyCar Series race at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, California. (Photo by Phillip Abbott/LAT for Chevy Racing)
Sage Karam, driver of the #8 Comfort Revolution/Big Machine Records Chip Ganassi Racing Chevrolet V6 IndyCar, races to a fifth-place finish Saturday, June 27, 2015, in the Verizon IndyCar Series race at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, California. (Photo by Perry Nelson/LAT for Chevy Racing)
Juan Pablo Montoya, driver of the #2 PPG Automotive Refinish Team Penske Chevrolet V-6 IndyCar, races to a fourth-place finish Saturday, June 27, 2015, in the Verizon IndyCar Series race at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, California. (Photo by Perry Nelson/LAT for Chevy Racing)
Tony Kanaan, driver of the #10 NTT Data Chip Ganassi Racing Chevrolet IndyCar V6 races to a second-place finish Saturday, June 27, 2015, in the Verizon IndyCar Series race at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, California.  (Photo by Perry Nelson/LAT for Chevy Racing)
Will Power and Takuma Sato crash out during the MAVTV 500 at Auto Club Speedway (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Will Power crashes out during the MAVTV 500 at Auto Club Speedway (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
The field flashes across the start/finish line during the MAVTV 500 at Auto Club Speedway (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register before adding your comments.

Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.


Gorbachov - Unregistered

June 27, 2012 4:58 AM

Cart series had an event in Zhuhai which attracted a lot of attention and a contract with the City but unfortunately as we know they went bust. This is the best city in China to hold a race it's besides Hong Kong and Macau and in the richest province of China. Not to mention Zhuhai has a permanent state of art track with GT1 races LMS races and many other events. Indycar should had gone with the obvious but I believe Qingdao promised them F1 money and greed took over from reason and now they have nothing. Make it a race in Zhuhai near to the Macau GP and you will have a great event in China!



© 1999 - 2015 Crash Media Group

The total or partial reproduction of text, photographs or illustrations is not permitted in any form.