IndyCar »

Driver news: Legge, Rahal, Allmendinger - and Austin

"In the past I might have treated him as a kid but after all these years and all the racing he's done I have confidence that he gets it; he knows what he has to do," Bobby Rahal told reporters at Mid-Ohio this weekend.

Shank wants Allmendinger for IndyCar entry

Michael Shank has confirmed that he wants his friend and business partner AJ Allmendinger to come back to IndyCar in 2013, telling reporters: "I think it's possible he could end up in IndyCar, but I don't know to what degree," adding that "He's said he's interested in doing something here."

Allmendinger is a partner in Shank's MSR Indy venture that tried to field an entry in the 2012 IZOD IndyCar Season with Paul Tracy or Jay Howard at the wheel, only to be thwarted by the lack of an engine deal. Shank still hopes to enter the series in 2013 and is currently eyeing Allmendinger's participation.

“I don't think it's impossible, but you've got a couple factors here to deal with.”

The main factor is Allmendinger's current suspension from NASCAR competition after testing positive for stimulants in a random drugs test last month. Allmendinger denies knowingly taking a prohibited substance but had agreed to undergo NASCAR's 'road to recovery' rehabilitation programme.

“He's real passionate about NASCAR. He doesn't want to just go away and feel like he was defeated," said Shank. "He does not want to be that guy."

While there is no formal reason why Allmendinger can't switch to IndyCar, series officials have said that they would not sign off on the involvement of any driver who was undergoing disciplinary action in another motor racing series, so it's likely that Allmendinger would still have to complete his programme and be reinstated by NASCAR before he could be consider for an IndyCar drive.

However, even after he completed the 'road to recovery', Allmendinger's chances of getting another competitive seat in NASCAR look gloomy. That might encourage the 30-year-old Californian to return to open wheel racing where he made his name in the Champ Car World Series in 2004-2006.

AJ Foyt signs Chase Austin for 2013 Indy 500 bid

Racing legend AJ Foyt has confirmed that his team will be fielding a car for Chase Austin at the 2013 Indianapolis 500 next May.

Assuming that it comes off, then the 22-year-old Kansas native would become only the third African-American driver to compete in the 'greatest spectacle in motorsport.' Austin has already competed in the Firestone Indy Lights Freedom 100 support race at Indianapolis, finishing in tenth place earlier this year.

“My son Larry and I have watched Chase drive and we want to give him a chance,” said Foyt. "He's done a real good job in the Lights series, and I believe he can qualify for the Indy 500 with Honda on board."




Related Pictures

Click on relevant pic to enlarge
Graham Rahal #38 Service Central Chip Ganassi Racing during practice for the 96th running of the Indianapolis 500. 12-27 May, 2012, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA. (c) 2012 Dan R. Boyd, LAT Photo USA (Photo credit: INDYCAR/LAT USA)
Bobby Rahal watches on from pit road [Photo Credit: IndyCar Media]
Graham Rahal in pit road at Kentucky Speedway [Photo credit: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media]
Katherine Legge`s (#6) first lap around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in an Indy Car during practice for the 2012 IndyCar Indy 500. 12-27 May, 2012, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA. (c) 2012, F. Peirce Williams LAT Photo USA (Photo Credit: INDYCAR/LAT USA)
Katherine Legge (c) 2012, Michael L. Levitt. LAT Photo (Photo Credit: INDYCAR/LAT USA)
Sebastien Bourdais with his son after winning Race 1 of the Honda Indy Toronto. (Photo by: Shawn Gritzmacher for IndyCar Media)
The red flag is waived halting attempts to start Race 1 of the Honda Indy Toronto on Saturday. (Photo by: Chris Owens for IndyCar Media)
Mike Conway and Team Owner Ed Carpenter celebrate victory in Race 2 of the Honda Indy Toronto (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Sebastien Bourdais gets a congratulatory hug from team co-owner Kevin Kalkhoven after winning Race 1 of the Honda Indy Toronto (Photo by: Chris Owens for IndyCar Media)
Chevrolet sweeps the podium with winner Mike Conway (center), driver of the #20 Fuzzy`s Ultra Premium Vodka / Ed Carpenter Racing Chevrolet IndyCar V6, celebrating his victory Sunday, July 20, 2014 during the second of two IndyCar Series races through the streets of Exhibition Place, in Toronto, Canada. Tony Kanaan (left), driver of the #10 Target Chip Ganassi Racing Chevrolet celebrates his second-place finish. Will Power, driver of the #12 Verizon Team Penske Chevrolet celebrates his third-place finish. (Photo by Phillip Abbott/LAT for Chevy Racing)
Mike Conway, driver of the #20 Fuzzy`s Ultra Premium Vodka / Ed Carpenter Racing Chevrolet IndyCar V6, celebrates his victory Sunday, July 20, 2014 during the second of two IndyCar Series races through the streets of Exhibition Place, in Toronto, Canada. (Photo by Phillip Abbott/LAT for Chevy Racing)
Mike Conway, driver of the #20 Fuzzy`s Ultra Premium Vodka / Ed Carpenter Racing Chevrolet IndyCar V6, takes the chequered flag while racing to victory Sunday, July 20, 2014 during the second of two IndyCar Series races through the streets of Exhibition Place, in Toronto, Canada. (Photo by Michael L. Levitt/LAT for Chevy Racing)
Mike Conway, driver of the #20 Fuzzy`s Ultra Premium Vodka / Ed Carpenter Racing Chevrolet IndyCar V6, races to victory Sunday, July 20, 2014 during the second of two IndyCar Series races through the streets of Exhibition Place, in Toronto, Canada. (Photo by Phillip Abbott/LAT for Chevy Racing)
Mike Conway on his way to victory in the second round of the Honda Indy Toronto doubleheader on Sunday July 20 2014. (Photo by: Joe Skibinski for IndyCar Media)
Mike Conway jumps for joy after the second round of the Honda Indy Toronto doubleheader on Sunday July 20 2014. (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Mike Conway with the winner`s flag after the second round of the Honda Indy Toronto doubleheader on Sunday July 20 2014. (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Mike Conway, Tony Kanaan and Will Power celebrate on the podium after the second round of the Honda Indy Toronto doubleheader on Sunday July 20 2014. (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Mike Conway receives the winner`s trophy after the second round of the Honda Indy Toronto doubleheader on Sunday July 20 2014. (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register before adding your comments.

Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.


David Chaste - Unregistered

August 05, 2012 11:13 PM

Graham Rahal can't believe the equipment Chips is giving him that's the problem. He sees the results he is getting and can't belive how far off is is from Dario and Scott. He could have easily took his sponsorship to Schmidt Hamilton, KV or even Dragon racing (now that they have a chevy engine). Those teams have had strong races. And behind the big 3, they're doing well. GRaham has the talent and the funding. Plus that he is American there's no lack of funding for him. Not to mention his dad's team could probably have given his a better car. It's only that Sato is a bit crash prone, so the results aren't showing. But Rahal-Letterman do have a fast car.



© 1999 - 2014 Crash Media Group

The total or partial reproduction of text, photographs or illustrations is not permitted in any form.