IndyCar »

Edmonton pulls out of 2013 Indy season

The city of Edmonton will no longer be hosting an IZOD IndyCar Series race in 2013, after the decision by the local prompters to no longer stage the event citing disappoining attendance.
The popular Edmonton Indy race will not be on the IZOD IndyCar Series calendar in 2013, after a decision by local promoters Octane Motorsports Events to end their role in staging the event.

Octane said that it had made a business decision based on lower than hoped for attendance at this year's staging of the event at Edmonton City Centre airport, which meant that the race was no longer deemed economically viable.

The City of Edmonton, while expressing sadness about Octane's decision to withdraw, also made it clear it had no intention of stepping into the breach. The announcement added that the city would not be seeking a replacement promoter or take any other steps to hold the event, and so the event will not go ahead in 2013.

"The 2012 Edmonton Indy was a great event both on and off the track. It, like previous races, brought economic benefits and international exposure to Edmonton," said the city's Mayor, Stephen Mandel, in a statement. "We appreciate the contribution of all our partners in making the event a positive experience for both residents and visitors."

"This news is disappointing for the city and race fans," added Mandel. It means the end of the road for the Edmonton Indy after eight years on the calendar, with the first race taking place in 2005 in the Champ Car series.

It's also another big blow and a headache for the IZOD IndyCar Series organisers, who are trying to pull together a provisional calendar for next year and must do better than the curtailed 15-event season they ended up with in 2012 after the the dropping of the ill-fated Las Vegas Motor Speedway as a venue and the late cancellation of an August race in China.

However, IndyCar CEO Randy Bernard said that the loss of Edmonton from the 2013 calendar had already been prepared for in the series' upcoming plans.

"When we finalised our schedule for the upcoming 2013 season, it unfortunately did not include Edmonton," said Bernard. "We thank the city of Edmonton and all the fans for their support of the event over the last eight years."

"This has not affected our plans for a minimum of 19 races next season," he insisted. "We remain optimistic that we will return to having two races in Canada as early as 2014."




Related Pictures

Click on relevant pic to enlarge
Charles Burns, Director of Security for Indianapolis Motor Speedway. (Photo Credit: IndyCar Media)
Winner Helio Castroneves celebrates at Edmonton by climbing the fence. (c) 2012, Phil Abbott. (Photo Credit: INDYCAR/LAT USA)
Winner Helio Castroneves leads Takuma Sato on the final laps of the Edmonton Indy. (c) 2012, Phil Abbott. (Photo Credit: INDYCAR/LAT USA)
Ryan Hunter-Reay on track at Edmonton City Center Airport. (c) 2012, Michael L. Levitt. (Photo Credit: INDYCAR/LAT USA)
Derrick Walker, the new president of competition and operations for the IZOD IndyCar Series, unveils the new technical development roadmap during a press conference at Detroit - Sunday, June 2 2013. (Photo Credit: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Derrick Walker, the new president of competition and operations for the IZOD IndyCar Series, unveils the new technical development roadmap during a press conference at Detroit - Sunday, June 2 2013. (Photo Credit: Chris Owens for IndyCar Media)
Derrick Walker, the new president of competition and operations for the IZOD IndyCar Series, unveils the new technical development roadmap during a press conference at Detroit - Sunday, June 2 2013. (Photo Credit: Chris Owens for IndyCar Media)
Simon Pagenaud celebrates victory in the second race of the Detroit Belle Isle double-header - Sunday June 2 2013. (Photo Credit: Chris Owens for IndyCar Media.)
Simon Pagenaud and the Schmidt-Hamilton Motorsport team celebrates victory in the second race of the Detroit Belle Isle double-header - Sunday June 2 2013. (Photo Credit: Chris Owens for IndyCar Media.)
Marco Andretti, driver of the #25 RC Cola Andretti Autosport Chevrolet IndyCar, leads Helio Castroneves, driver of the #3 Hitachi Team Penske Chevrolet IndyCar Sunday, June 2, 2013 during the second Chevrolet Dual in Detroit race in Detroit, Michigan. Andretti finished sixth and is second in driver points. Castroneves finished eighth, and keeps the lead in driver points. (Photo by Michael L. Levitt for Chevy Racing)
Helio Castroneves, driver of the #3 Hitachi Team Penske Chevrolet IndyCar leads Ryan Briscoe, driver of the #4 National Guard Panther Racing Chevrolet Sunday, June 2, 2013 during the second Chevrolet Dual in Detroit race in Detroit, Michigan. Castroneves finished eighth, and keeps the lead in driver points. Briscoe finished thirteenth. (Photo by Michael L. Levitt for Chevy Racing)
General Motors Chairman and CEO Dan Akerson waves the green flag to restart the second Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit race Sunday, June 2, 2013 on Belle Isle in Detroit, Michigan. (Photo by John F. Martin for Chevrolet)
General Motors Chairman and CEO Dan Akerson waves the green flag to start the second Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit race Sunday, June 2, 2013 on Belle Isle in Detroit, Michigan. (Photo by Steve Fecht for Chevrolet)
The start of the second race of the Detroit Belle Isle double-header - Sunday June 2 2013. (Photo Credit: John Cote for IndyCar Media.)
The finish of the second race of the Detroit Belle Isle double-header - Sunday June 2 2013. (Photo Credit: John Cote for IndyCar Media.)
Fans watch the action during second race of the Detroit Belle Isle double-header - Sunday June 2 2013. (Photo Credit: John Cote for IndyCar Media.)
James Jakes during the second race of the Detroit Belle Isle double-header - Sunday June 2 2013. (Photo Credit: John Cote for IndyCar Media.)
James Jakes during the second race of the Detroit Belle Isle double-header - Sunday June 2 2013. (Photo Credit: John Cote for IndyCar Media.)

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register before adding your comments.

Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.


Jim - Unregistered

September 22, 2012 11:55 PM

Poor decision by Octane and IZOD to let them off the hook for the final race of the agreement. I say BOYCOTT any Octane product. Typical eastern thinking.



© 1999 - 2014 Crash Media Group

The total or partial reproduction of text, photographs or illustrations is not permitted in any form.