IndyCar »

Tony George quits board of series owners

Tony George has resigned from the board of IndyCar Series owners Hulman & Company, citing a conflict of interest with his involvement with a buy-out bid by team owners.
Tony George has left the board of Hulman & Company with immediate effect, citing a potential conflict of interest between his remaining on the board of the owners of the IZOD IndyCar Series and his involvement with a takeover bid by a group of team owners.

The announcement was made on Friday afternoon, and was the first official confirmation that George was indeed fronting a buy-out bid for IndyCar by a number of team owners.

However, in making the announcement, Hulman & Company president and CEO Jeff Belskus insisted that the series was not for sale and that the owners were not considering any offer that had been submitted to it for a buy-out by any party.

"Tony George has made the difficult decision to resign from the board because of his involvement with a group that has recently expressed an interest in purchasing the Hulman & Company-owned IndyCar organization," said Belskus.

"While the business is not for sale and no offers to sell it have been considered or are being considered, we applaud Tony's efforts to resolve the appearance of a conflict and appreciate the gravity of this decision," he added.

George was previously president of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway from 1990-2004 which is also owned by Hulman & Company. He set up the Indy Racing League which split away from CART as the sanctioning body of open wheel racing in the US leading to a decade-long schism in the sport until reunification in 2008. George also set up and ran Vision Racing, and is now co-owner of Ed Carpenter Racing with his stepson, owner-driver Ed Carpenter.

"Tony has been involved with our businesses for many years and has contributed significantly through his leadership role with IMS and IndyCar and as a member of this board," said Belskus, who added that George's place on the Hulman & Company board woud not be filled. "We wish Tony much success in the future."

In response, George said in a statement: "I realize that my recent efforts to explore the possibility of acquiring IndyCar represent the appearance of a conflict, and it is in everyone's best interest that I resign from the Hulman & Company board.

"It goes without saying that I want to do what is best for this organisation," he added.

The latest round of takeover rumours surfaced in the Sports Business Journal at the beginning of October, with the newspaper's sources stating that the board of Hulman & Company had received a definite takeover offer from an investment group said to include Chip Ganassi, Roger Penske, Michael Andretti and Kevin Kalkhoven (co-owner of KV Racing Technology), and fronted by George.




Related Pictures

Click on relevant pic to enlarge
Randy Bernard at the announcement of the GoDaddy.com IndyCar Challenge. [Photo Credit: Jim Haines for IndyCar Media]
IndyCar Series CEO Randy Bernard [Picture credit: IndyCar Media]
Polesitter Ryan Briscoe celebrates after qualifying for the 2012 Indianapolis 500. 12-27 May, 2012, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA. (c) 2012, Michael L. Levitt LAT Photo USA  (Photo Credit: INDYCAR/LAT USA)
Mari Hulman George at Indianapolis. (Photo Credit: Ron Mulqueeney for IndyCar Media)
Indy Racing League. 20-21 June 2009. Iowa Corn 250.  Iowa Speedway. Newton, Iowa USA. Tony George and Ed Carpenter.
Charlie Kimball, Tony Kanaan, Helio Castroneves, Takuma Sato, Mike Conway, Will Power, Scott Dixon, James Hinchcliffe and Ryan Hunter-Reay. (Photo Credit: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Tony Kanaan, Takuma Sato, Mike Conway, Scott Dixon, James Hinchcliffe and Ryan Hunter-Reay. (Photo Credit: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Chevrolet Racing introduces the 2014 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 Indianapolis 500 pace car Tuesday, March 25, 2014. Three-time Indianapolis 500 winner Dario Franchitti will drive the Camaro Z/28 to pace the 98th running of the race on May 25. It’s the eighth time a Camaro has been the pace car, starting in 1967 – and the 25th time a Chevrolet has paced the race. The 2014 Camaro Z/28 is the most track-capable model in its history, building on the legacy of the original SCCA Trans Am-series contender introduced in 1967. (Photo Courtesy of IMS Photography for Chevy Racing)
Chevrolet Racing introduces the 2014 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 Indianapolis 500 pace car Tuesday, March 25, 2014. Three-time Indianapolis 500 winner Dario Franchitti will drive the Camaro Z/28 to pace the 98th running of the race on May 25. It’s the eighth time a Camaro has been the pace car, starting in 1967 – and the 25th time a Chevrolet has paced the race. The 2014 Camaro Z/28 is the most track-capable model in its history, building on the legacy of the original SCCA Trans Am-series contender introduced in 1967. (Photo Courtesy of IMS Photography for Chevy Racing)
Chevrolet Racing announces Tuesday, March 25, 2014 that three-time Indianapolis 500 winner Dario Franchitti will drive a 2014 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 to pace the 98th running of the Indianapolis 500 on May 25. It’s the eighth time a Camaro has been the pace car, starting in 1967 – and the 25th time a Chevrolet has paced the race. The 2014 Camaro Z/28 is the most track-capable model in its history, building on the legacy of the original SCCA Trans Am-series contender introduced in 1967. (Photo Courtesy of IMS Photography for Chevy Racing)
Chevrolet Racing announces Tuesday, March 25, 2014 that three-time Indianapolis 500 winner Dario Franchitti will drive a 2014 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 to pace the 98th running of the Indianapolis 500 on May 25. It’s the eighth time a Camaro has been the pace car, starting in 1967 – and the 25th time a Chevrolet has paced the race. The 2014 Camaro Z/28 is the most track-capable model in its history, building on the legacy of the original SCCA Trans Am-series contender introduced in 1967. (Photo Courtesy of IMS Photography for Chevy Racing)
Schmidt Peterson Motorsports announcement that Jacques Villeneuve will drive for them in the 2014 Indianapolis 500. Villeneuve appeared by video link, with his 1995 race-winning car pictures in the foreground. (Photo Credit: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Schmidt Peterson Motorsports announcement that Jacques Villeneuve will drive for them in the 2014 Indianapolis 500. Villeneuve appeared by video link, with his 1995 race-winning car pictures in the foreground. (Photo Credit: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Schmidt Peterson Motorsports announcement that Jacques Villeneuve will drive for them in the 2014 Indianapolis 500. Villeneuve appeared by video link, with his 1995 race-winning car pictures in the foreground. (Photo Credit: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Dario Franchitti jokes with Tony Kanaan during his press conference at the Target Chip Ganassi Racing offices. (Photo Credit: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Ryan Briscoe (second left) is announced as the fourth driver for Chip Ganassi Racing in 2014 where he will join (L-R) Charlie Kimball, Tony Kanaan and Scott Dixon. Kanaan will drive the #10 previously piloted by Dario Franchitti. Briscoe will drive the new #8 car in a multi-year contract. (Photo Credit: Lynne Huntting, presssnoop.com)
Tony Kanaan gets acclimated to his new car as mechanic Steve Namisnak makes adjustments to a mirror prior to a test at Sebring International Raceway on December 4, 2013. (Photo Credit: Dave Lewandowski for IndyCar Media)
Tony Kanaan, left, and Charlie Kimball, center, compare notes during some downtime at a Chip Ganassi Racing test day at Sebring International Raceway on December 4, 2013. (Photo Credit: Dave Lewandowski for IndyCar Media)

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register before adding your comments.

Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.


DGAS - Unregistered

October 21, 2012 11:30 PM

I agree.This guy is the cancer which has more or less killed open wheel racing in the US. Lets face it, Indycar will never recover to its former glory (even as CART)and if this guy has anything to do with it,I fear it will be all dead & buried within 3 years. I wouldnt trust him running a county fair!

Just_saying - Unregistered

October 21, 2012 5:54 AM

What an egoistical maniac .. It was never about anything he preached.. It was only about him having total control.. Cart only had to bow their heads To f1.. Now indycars get beat by formula Nippon cars.. Now He seeks to rebuild the same structure he sought to destroy.. Only because it is the only way back to power.. Total hypocrite .. And the loss of hundreds of million, Hasn’t even dampened his lust for control.. And f1 guys think they have it bad with Bernie.. Lets just hope Tony can never afford to buy f1



© 1999 - 2014 Crash Media Group

The total or partial reproduction of text, photographs or illustrations is not permitted in any form.