IndyCar »

Official: Randy Bernard exits as series CEO

The CEO of the IZOD IndyCar Series Randy Bernard has resigned from his position following an emergency board meeting of the series owners on Sunday afternoon.
After a week of rumours about his position as the CEO of the IZOD IndyCar Series, Randy Bernard has officially stepped down following an emergency teleconference of the board of directors of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Corporation on Sunday afternoon.

IMSC president Jeff Belskus will take over as CEO on an interim basis. Previously announced plans for a 19-race season in 2013 will continue uninterrupted.

"We are very grateful for the tireless effort that Randy has invested into learning, understanding and working to grow the IndyCar Series over the last three racing seasons," said Belskus.

"As both Randy and our organisation have reflected on the past season and as we look toward the opportunities ahead and how to best take advantage of them, we agreed that the timing was right to pursue separate paths," he added.

A former CEO of the Professional Bull Riders series, Bernard joined IndyCar in March 2010 on a five-year contract and has said repeatedly that he would not leave the series prematurely before the end of that period unless asked to do so by the owners.

However, speculation about his position reached fever pitch on Friday with reports in the Indianapolis Business Journal quoting anonymous "sources familiar with the situation" to assert that Bernard had already been fired by the series owners on Thursday and was currently negotiating a severance package.

The reports were strongly refuted by a IMSC spokesperson on Friday, who said: "Randy has not been terminated and his employment status is the same as it was last week and last month."

Doug Boles had added: "At this point, Randy is not fired. That is the case at the moment and in the future." That future turned out to be a little over 48 hours.

Officially, Sunday's emergency board telemeeting was only called after Friday's IBJ story sparked a media storm that many on the board felt made Bernard's position as CEO untenable and which could only be resolved by a "mutual separation."




Related Pictures

Click on relevant pic to enlarge
Mari Hulman George at Indianapolis. (Photo Credit: Ron Mulqueeney for IndyCar Media)
Tony George, Homestead Open Testing [Pic credit: IndyCar Media]
Indy Racing League. 9-10 May 2008. Indy 500 Practice and Pole day. Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Indianapolis, Indiana. Tony George.
Indianapolis Motor Speedway president Jeff Belskus. (Picture credit: IndyCar Media)
Randy Bernard at the announcement of the GoDaddy.com IndyCar Challenge. [Photo Credit: Jim Haines for IndyCar Media]
Juan Pablo Montoya celebrates with team owner Roger Penske after winning the Indianapolis 500 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway on Sunday May 24 2015. (Photo by: Joe Skibinski for IndyCar Media)
Accident for Sage Karam on the first lap of the 99th running of the Indianapolis 500 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway on Sunday May 24 2015. (Photo by: Mike Young for IndyCar Media)
Oriol Servia accident during the 99th running of the Indianapolis 500 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway on Sunday May 24 2015. (Photo by: Mike Young for IndyCar Media)
Justin Wilson at the 99th running of the Indianapolis 500 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway on Sunday May 24 2015. (Photo by: Eric Anderson for IndyCar Media)
Juan Pablo Montoya celebrates after the 99th running of the Indianapolis 500 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway on Sunday May 24 2015. (Photo by: Chris Owens for IndyCar Media)
Juan Pablo Montoya celebrates after the 99th running of the Indianapolis 500 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway on Sunday May 24 2015. (Photo by: Chris Owens for IndyCar Media)
Juan Pablo Montoya celebrates after the 99th running of the Indianapolis 500 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway on Sunday May 24 2015. (Photo by: Eric Anderson for IndyCar Media)
Juan Pablo Montoya, driver of the #2 Verizon Team Penske Chevrolet V-6 IndyCar, and his team perform the traditional kissing of the bricks after racing to victory Sunday, May 24, 2015, winning the Indianapolis 500 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in Indianapolis, Indiana. Montoya went from near-last to first, winning the Indy 500 for the second time in his career. Chevrolet powered the top four cars in the race. (Photo by Michael L. Levitt/LAT for Chevy Racing)
Juan Pablo Montoya, driver of the #2 Verizon Team Penske Chevrolet V-6 IndyCar, drinks the traditional bottle of milk while celebrating his victory Sunday, May 24, 2015, winning the Indianapolis 500 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in Indianapolis, Indiana. Montoya went from near-last to first, winning the Indy 500 for the second time in his career. Chevrolet powered the top four cars in the race. (Photo by Phillip Abbott/LAT for Chevy Racing)
Juan Pablo Montoya, driver of the #2 Verizon Team Penske Chevrolet V-6 IndyCar, celebrates his victory Sunday, May 24, 2015, winning the Indianapolis 500 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in Indianapolis, Indiana. Montoya went from near-last to first, winning the Indy 500 for the second time in his career. Chevrolet powered the top four cars in the race. (Photo by Scott R. LePage/LAT for Chevy Racing)
Juan Pablo Montoya, driver of the #2 Verizon Team Penske Chevrolet V-6 IndyCar, crosses the finish line as he races to victory Sunday, May 24, 2015, winning the Indianapolis 500 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in Indianapolis, Indiana. Montoya went from near-last to first, winning the Indy 500 for the second time in his career. Will Power (left), driver of the #1 Verizon Team Penske Chevrolet, finishes second. Chevrolet powered the top four cars in the race. (Photo by Andy Frame/LAT for Chevy Racing)
Juan Pablo Montoya is congratulated by his Penske team mate Helio Castroneves after clinching victory in the 99th running of the Indianapolis 500 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway on Sunday May 24 2015. (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Juan Pablo Montoya celebrates victory in the 99th running of the Indianapolis 500 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway on Sunday May 24 2015. (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register before adding your comments.

Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.


johnnymat

October 29, 2012 3:15 PM

It's hard to believe that the board would be foolish enough to take a step backward like this. Roger Penske was quoted as saying you can't manage a business (which is exactly what Indy Car is) by replacing the top manager every few years. 2012 produced the best open wheel racing that the U.S. has seen in many years. An American champion, oval racing where you actually had to drive the car, lot's of passing on road courses and 8 different winners. An extremely short sighted decision.



© 1999 - 2015 Crash Media Group

The total or partial reproduction of text, photographs or illustrations is not permitted in any form.