IndyCar »

Official: Randy Bernard exits as series CEO

"Once again, IndyCar is not for sale, and the organization remains completely committed to owning and operating IndyCar," he said.

The official statement announcing Bernard's departure did not state any reasons at all for the move, but the decision by the board to accept Bernard's resignation as CEO is believed to be motivated by a sharp rise in losses by the series in 2012.

IBJ's report on Friday said that these had spiked to over $7m, partly due to the last-minute cancellation of a lucrative race scheduled for China over the summer. That had been expected to bring in around $9m in sanctioning fees until the local authorities pulled out of the arrangement.

While popular with fans, Bernard's decision to stand up to team owners over key decisions has left him increasingly at odds with them in recent months. The cost of replacement parts for the new Dallara chassis was also a major bone of contention between the owners and Bernard's management team. Rumours that some of the car owners were actively lobbying the board of owners to have Bernard removed surfaced in May in the run-up to the Indianapolis 500, and Bernard controversially went public to confirm the rumours via Twitter.

After that the speculation died down, but since the end of the 2012 season last month the rumours have returned up and gathered even more momentum. The news that a formal buyout bid had been presented to the board by Tony George only escalated the furore still further.

Tony George is a controversial figure for many fans of US open sport, who still hold him responsible for the schism in US open wheel racing that resulted when he set up the Indy Racing League in the 1990s to break away from CART sanctioning. It was a split that wasn't resolved until the reunification of IRL with CART's rump Champ Car World Series in 2008, by which time the sport's popularity had nosedived in comparison with NASCAR.

Even if the mooted buyout was to go through, George is unlikely to want to take over again as CEO. The investment group behind the takeover bid is said to have the involvement of motorsports marketer Zak Brown, who is seen as the leading replacement for Bernard as CEO.

Other suggested candidates are Andretti Autosport's executive vice president and chief operating officer John Lopes, or Daytona International Speedway's president Joie Chitwood III, a former chief operating officer at IMS for seven years when George was the CEO there.




Related Pictures

Click on relevant pic to enlarge
Mari Hulman George at Indianapolis. (Photo Credit: Ron Mulqueeney for IndyCar Media)
Tony George, Homestead Open Testing [Pic credit: IndyCar Media]
Indy Racing League. 9-10 May 2008. Indy 500 Practice and Pole day. Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Indianapolis, Indiana. Tony George.
Indianapolis Motor Speedway president Jeff Belskus. (Picture credit: IndyCar Media)
Randy Bernard at the announcement of the GoDaddy.com IndyCar Challenge. [Photo Credit: Jim Haines for IndyCar Media]
Charlie Kimball, Tony Kanaan, Helio Castroneves, Takuma Sato, Mike Conway, Will Power, Scott Dixon, James Hinchcliffe and Ryan Hunter-Reay. (Photo Credit: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Tony Kanaan, Takuma Sato, Mike Conway, Scott Dixon, James Hinchcliffe and Ryan Hunter-Reay. (Photo Credit: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Chevrolet Racing introduces the 2014 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 Indianapolis 500 pace car Tuesday, March 25, 2014. Three-time Indianapolis 500 winner Dario Franchitti will drive the Camaro Z/28 to pace the 98th running of the race on May 25. It’s the eighth time a Camaro has been the pace car, starting in 1967 – and the 25th time a Chevrolet has paced the race. The 2014 Camaro Z/28 is the most track-capable model in its history, building on the legacy of the original SCCA Trans Am-series contender introduced in 1967. (Photo Courtesy of IMS Photography for Chevy Racing)
Chevrolet Racing introduces the 2014 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 Indianapolis 500 pace car Tuesday, March 25, 2014. Three-time Indianapolis 500 winner Dario Franchitti will drive the Camaro Z/28 to pace the 98th running of the race on May 25. It’s the eighth time a Camaro has been the pace car, starting in 1967 – and the 25th time a Chevrolet has paced the race. The 2014 Camaro Z/28 is the most track-capable model in its history, building on the legacy of the original SCCA Trans Am-series contender introduced in 1967. (Photo Courtesy of IMS Photography for Chevy Racing)
Chevrolet Racing announces Tuesday, March 25, 2014 that three-time Indianapolis 500 winner Dario Franchitti will drive a 2014 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 to pace the 98th running of the Indianapolis 500 on May 25. It’s the eighth time a Camaro has been the pace car, starting in 1967 – and the 25th time a Chevrolet has paced the race. The 2014 Camaro Z/28 is the most track-capable model in its history, building on the legacy of the original SCCA Trans Am-series contender introduced in 1967. (Photo Courtesy of IMS Photography for Chevy Racing)
Chevrolet Racing announces Tuesday, March 25, 2014 that three-time Indianapolis 500 winner Dario Franchitti will drive a 2014 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 to pace the 98th running of the Indianapolis 500 on May 25. It’s the eighth time a Camaro has been the pace car, starting in 1967 – and the 25th time a Chevrolet has paced the race. The 2014 Camaro Z/28 is the most track-capable model in its history, building on the legacy of the original SCCA Trans Am-series contender introduced in 1967. (Photo Courtesy of IMS Photography for Chevy Racing)
Schmidt Peterson Motorsports announcement that Jacques Villeneuve will drive for them in the 2014 Indianapolis 500. Villeneuve appeared by video link, with his 1995 race-winning car pictures in the foreground. (Photo Credit: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Schmidt Peterson Motorsports announcement that Jacques Villeneuve will drive for them in the 2014 Indianapolis 500. Villeneuve appeared by video link, with his 1995 race-winning car pictures in the foreground. (Photo Credit: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Schmidt Peterson Motorsports announcement that Jacques Villeneuve will drive for them in the 2014 Indianapolis 500. Villeneuve appeared by video link, with his 1995 race-winning car pictures in the foreground. (Photo Credit: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Dario Franchitti jokes with Tony Kanaan during his press conference at the Target Chip Ganassi Racing offices. (Photo Credit: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Ryan Briscoe (second left) is announced as the fourth driver for Chip Ganassi Racing in 2014 where he will join (L-R) Charlie Kimball, Tony Kanaan and Scott Dixon. Kanaan will drive the #10 previously piloted by Dario Franchitti. Briscoe will drive the new #8 car in a multi-year contract. (Photo Credit: Lynne Huntting, presssnoop.com)
Tony Kanaan gets acclimated to his new car as mechanic Steve Namisnak makes adjustments to a mirror prior to a test at Sebring International Raceway on December 4, 2013. (Photo Credit: Dave Lewandowski for IndyCar Media)
Tony Kanaan, left, and Charlie Kimball, center, compare notes during some downtime at a Chip Ganassi Racing test day at Sebring International Raceway on December 4, 2013. (Photo Credit: Dave Lewandowski for IndyCar Media)

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register before adding your comments.

Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.


johnnymat

October 29, 2012 3:15 PM

It's hard to believe that the board would be foolish enough to take a step backward like this. Roger Penske was quoted as saying you can't manage a business (which is exactly what Indy Car is) by replacing the top manager every few years. 2012 produced the best open wheel racing that the U.S. has seen in many years. An American champion, oval racing where you actually had to drive the car, lot's of passing on road courses and 8 different winners. An extremely short sighted decision.



© 1999 - 2014 Crash Media Group

The total or partial reproduction of text, photographs or illustrations is not permitted in any form.