IndyCar »

Conor Daly gets Indy 500 entry with Foyt

GP2 and GP3 driver Conor Daly is to make his first bid to run in the Indianapolis 500 this year, after being handed an opportunity by the legendary AJ Foyt.
Conor Daly will bid to make the starting grid of the 97th Indianapolis 500 this May, after AJ Foyt Racing selected the 21-year-old American, son of Irish former F1 and Champ Car driver Derek Daly, to fill the seat of the team's second car alongside Takuma Sato.

“I'm excited about bringing Conor to Indy for his first race at the 500,” said the team's general manager Larry Foyt. "I've been watching him come up through the open wheel ranks, and when we met at the F1 race in Austin, Texas last year, we hit it off immediately."

Daly himself was delighted at being able to officially confirm the long-rumoured move putting him behind the wheel of the team's #41 ABC Supply Honda.

“I almost can't describe what it means to have the opportunity to race in the Indianapolis 500,” he said. "It is truly my home race since I was born and raised in the Indianapolis area. I am so thankful that AJ and Larry have given me my first shot at the greatest race in the world.

"I know this will sound cheesy but I've never been happier in my life; this race means so much to me," he added. "The Indy 500 is part of my life; I love everything about the month of May."

The rumours that Daly was in the frame for an Indy 500 run started when he tried out with the team last December at Sebring International Raceway, and he certainly impressed team owner and motor racing icon AJ Foyt, who has himself won the Indy 500 four times in his career.

"I've run a lot of rookies at Indy and I think Conor will do a good job for us," said the 78-year-old, who last year gave 2005 Firestone Indy Lights champion Wade Cunningham his shot in the greatest spectacle in motor sport. "He ran well at Sebring when we needed someone to do some testing in the off season. He was fast, smooth, and didn't get in trouble.

“When we made a change on the car he felt it. I found him to be very savvy on the chassis setups," Foyt continued. "When we made a minor change which was really nothing, he thought about it and said it felt no different. I told him that was the right answer because we didn't do anything he'd be able to feel, so that impressed me too."

Almost as delighted with the news was Conor's father Derek, who is now his son's manager.

"With AJ and the engineering talent within the team it will be an ideal learning environment for Conor," said Daly, himself a veteran of six Indy 500 races between 1983 and 1989.




Related Pictures

Click on relevant pic to enlarge
Conor Daly prepares to test an IZOD IndyCar Series car for the first time during a test session at Sebring International Raceway on Dec. 13 (Photo Credit: J Hendrick for IndyCar Media)
Conor Daly prepares to test an IZOD IndyCar Series car for the first time during a test session at Sebring International Raceway on Dec. 13 (Photo Credit: J Hendrick fo IndyCar Media)
Conor Daly with Aj Foyt while testing an IZOD IndyCar Series car for the first time during a test session at Sebring International Raceway on Dec. 13 (Photo Credit: J Hendrick fo IndyCar Media)
Conor Daly (USA, Lotus GP) during GP3 practice at Monza - September 2012. (World Copyright: Alastair Staley/LAT Photographic)
Will Power, Josef Newgarden, and Graham Rahal drive their machines across the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, CA (Photo by: Chris Owens for IndyCar Media)
James Hinchcliffe, Will Power, Josef Newgarden, Marco Andretti, and Graham Rahal at the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, CA (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Marco Andretti, Josef Newgarden, Will Power, Graham Rahal, and James Hinchcliffe bring their machines across the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, CA (Photo by: John Cote for IndyCar Media)
Justin Wilson speaks with Oriol Servia in pit lane (Photo by: Jim Haines for IndyCar Media)
Justin Wilson with a light moment prior to his qualification attempt for the MAVTV 500 at Auto Club Speedway (Photo by: Joe Skibinski for IndyCar Media)
Justin Wilson stands in Gasoline Alley at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway during the 2015 Indianapolis 500 (Photo by: Chris Owens for IndyCar Media)
Sage Karam walks pit lane prior to his qualification attempt for the ABC Supply 500 at Pocono Raceway -- Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media
Justin Wilson flashes across the start/finish line during the ABC Supply 500 at Pocono Raceway on Sunday, August 22, 2015 (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Justin Wilson greets the fans during pre-race festivities for the ABC Supply 500 at Pocono Raceway on Sunday, August 22, 2015 (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)
Juan Pablo Montoya, driver of the #2 Verizon Team Penske Chevrolet V-6 IndyCar, races to a third place finish Sunday, August 22, 2015, in the Verizon IndyCar Series race at Pocono Raceway in Long Pond, Pennsylvania. Montoya will start the 2.385-mile, 12-turn Sonoma Raceway road course next weekend with a 34-point advantage in the Verizon IndyCar Series championship. (Photo by Phillip Abbott/LAT for Chevy Racing)
Josef Newgarden, driver of the #67 Hartman Oil CFH Racing Chevrolet V-6 IndyCar, celebrates his second place finish Sunday, August 22, 2015, in the Verizon IndyCar Series race at Pocono Raceway in Long Pond, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Phillip Abbott/LAT for Chevy Racing)
Juan Pablo Montoya, driver of the #2 Verizon Team Penske Chevrolet V-6 IndyCar, celebrates his third place finish Sunday, August 22, 2015, in the Verizon IndyCar Series race at Pocono Raceway in Long Pond, Pennsylvania. Montoya will start the 2.385-mile, 12-turn Sonoma Raceway road course next weekend with a 34-point advantage in the Verizon IndyCar Series championship. (Photo by Phillip Abbott/LAT for Chevy Racing)
Josef Newgarden, driver of the #67 Hartman Oil CFH Racing Chevrolet V-6 IndyCar, races to a second place finish Sunday, August 22, 2015, in the Verizon IndyCar Series race at Pocono Raceway in Long Pond, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Michael L. Levitt/LAT for Chevy Racing)
Ryan Hunter-Reay celebrates in victory circle after winning the ABC Supply 500 at Pocono Raceway on Sunday August 23 2015. (Photo by: Chris Jones for IndyCar Media)

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register before adding your comments.

Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.


shaken - Unregistered

April 03, 2013 2:10 AM

As an Irishman myself I wish Connor the very best of luck. His father (Derek the Irishman) never really set the tracks alight though. His then teammate Keke Rosberg (none other than Nico's Dad!) won the F1 drivers title with Williams. Derek made nothing of the Williams.



© 1999 - 2015 Crash Media Group

The total or partial reproduction of text, photographs or illustrations is not permitted in any form.