Andretti Autosport has confirmed that it is parting company with Chevrolet at the end of this season, and from 2014 will be powered by Honda engines in the IndyCar Series.

"We look forward to working with Honda again; for us, it's like being back home. I have no doubt that together we will see great success," said team owner Michael Andretti, making the announcement on Saturday at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, California ahead of this weekend's 2013 season finale.

"We're extremely happy to welcome Michael Andretti and his Andretti Autosport organization back into the Honda Racing family," said Honda Performance Development president Art St Cyr in reply. "The Andretti organization played a major role in Honda's success during the previous era of manufacturer competition in Indy car racing, and we're looking forward to adding more victories and championships to an already impressive total."

In a sense, Saturday's announcement was "the other shoe dropping" in the wake of Ganassi Racing's announcement at the start of the month that they were departing the Honda stable and moving to Chevrolet in a bid to get on an equal footing with their arch rivals Penske next season, after problems with the power and reliability of the Honda engines in the last two season.

After the Ganassi decision was made public, Honda said that it was in no rush to replace that team as their flagship partners in IndyCar, but it was clear that the distribution of engine supply in the series between Chevrolet and Honda was out of balance and some sort of knock-on effect such as Andretti's exit from the 'bow tie brigade' had been expected.

"We'd like to thank Michael Andretti and the entire Andretti Autosport organisation for their partnership in IndyCar Series competition during 2012 and 2013," said Jim Campbell, US vice president at Chevrolet for performance vehicles and motorsports.

"We would like to thank the Andretti Autosport drivers for their on-track achievements that contributed to Chevrolet clinching the 2012 manufacturers' championship [and] resulted in Ryan Hunter-Reay winning the 2012 IndyCar Series driver championship," Campbell added. "They are all true professionals on and off the track. We wish them well and look forward to spirited competition in the future."

The team also confirmed that James Hinchcliffe would be staying at Andretti for 2014 despite the loss of internet services company GoDaddy.com as primary sponsor of the #27 car. Stepping into the breach for 2014 will be broadband wholesaler United Fiber and Data.

"Obviously, this has been home for the last two years and we preach so much about chemistry in this team and to keep it together is awesome," said Hinchcliffe, who has signed a one-year deal plus option with the team to stay alongside Ryan Hunter-Reay and also Marco Andretti, who signed his own two-year extension with the team on Friday.

"I'm really excited about UFD and being able to work with those guys," added Hinchcliffe. "I think we can do a lot together and it's great to be back working with Michael, Ryan and Marco and everyone on the team."

UFD will also sponsor Matthew Brabham in Indy Lights for Andretti, with the team also confirming that Zach Veach will spend a second season in the feeder series in the #12 car. Veach is currently competing for the organisation alongside Carlos Munoz, who this weekend is doing double duty in the IndyCar Series as a last minute substitute for EJ Viso, the driver of the #5 Team Venezuela Andretti-HMV co-entry.

Michael Andretti denied that Viso's absence this week was connected with a reported freeze on sports sponsorship funding by the Venezuelan government over allegations of widespread corruption in the country's funding of overseas motorsports in its entirety, which is said to involve "activities that were either fictitious or overpriced."

"Andretti Autosport was notified Thursday evening of EJ Viso's illness by both Viso and his health care provider," insisted Andretti. "Viso made every attempt to make the trip to Fontana to take the track for his crew and sponsors. EJ's illness was too great and it was advised by his medical team that he remain home to recover.

"While we are disappointed that he will not be able to join us for the 2013 IndyCar Season finale this weekend, we are more concerned with his health," Andretti continued. "We will miss having EJ around the track with us and wish him a speedy recovery."

Viso later tweeted a picture of himself in a hospital bed receiving IV drips in order to lay the speculation to rest and prove beyond doubt that he was indeed too ill to make it to Fontana for the race.