Sebastian Saavedra rebounded from the disappointment of being penalised for blocking in last week's Watkins Glen Indy Lights race to claim victory on the streets of Toronto.

The Colombian passed AFS/AGR team-mate JR Hildebrand on lap 18 of 50, and went on to record a 5.8630secs victory over the championship leader in a caution-free race, while hometown favourite James Hinchcliffe finished third - for the fourth time this season - after starting alongside Saavedra on the front row. Stefan Wilson finished a season-high fourth in the #19 Walker Racing car.

Saavedra led away from pole position but, with the race starting in wet - but drying - conditions, relinquished top spot during the scramble to fit slicks. Richard Philippe briefly took charge as he delayed his stop a lap longer than the AFS/AGR driver, but it was Hildebrand, up from sixth on the grid despite pitting at the same time as Saavedra, who assumed control as things settled down.

Related Articles

Knowing that he needed to act before his team-mate got into a rhythm, the Colombian pounced nine laps later, resecuring the lead and gradually taking control of the event thereafter to add street course victory to his earlier success on the oval at Kansas.

"It wasn't easy, I'm telling you," Saavedra insisted, "This is one of the hardest tracks I've been to - in wet conditions and dry conditions. We also made a pit-stop, things we're not use to, but the #27 crew did an awesome job. I'm very happy for AFS/Andretti Green Racing. Points are points, but we're thinking about the championship and that's what is important."

The victory was AFS Racing/Andretti Green Racing's fourth of the season, with Hildebrand completing a 1-2 after claiming his sixth podium finish in nine starts in 2009, but the American revealed that he had been battling a familiar street circuit problem from the early laps.

"We definitely salvaged a good finish out of that, and I really owe it to the boys in the pits," the points leader admitted, "They really did an awesome job with the pit-stop, but I had hit the wall early and bent the rear suspension pretty badly - like five or six laps into the race - so I was just hanging on for most of the race.

"I thought maybe I could stick with Sebastian because I was sort of keeping up with him for most of the middle segment, but the thing just started going haywire on me through the fast stuff. So, after I almost wrecked the car a couple of times. I just backed off and thought we'd get it to the finish. It was good for the boys, and we'll see what we've got in a couple of weeks in Edmonton."

Hinchcliffe tied his season-best in third place after his Sam Schmidt Motorsport team had been out-fumbled by the AFS/AGR at the pit-stops.

"Man, what a tough race," the Canadian sighed, "With the conditions changing like that, and having to do live pit-stops for the first time in my career in Firestone Indy Lights, it was a bit exciting. The car was really good - the guys gave us a great car all weekend. Qualifying on the front row and bringing it home on the podium was great.

"I think we lost a little time on the pit-stop, but we were running consistent race laps after that, so I've got to be happy with a hometown podium. I've got to thank all of my friends and family. It was a great weekend."

Wilson's fourth bettered his previous best result of twelfth, from last time out at Watkins Glen, and the Briton - who is only contesting selected road and street course events this season - was quick to thank his Walker Racing crew for their efforts.

"I was quick in the wet but, as it started to dry out, we pitted for slicks at just the right time, and it was the right choice," he noted, "We were really quick straight away when we exited the pits and were probably the fastest car on the track but, towards the end, the car started to go off and I had a few problems inside the cockpit so, by the last ten laps, there was no way I was going to catch 'Hinch'."

James Davison wasn't quite so fortunate, having run second for a while before dropping a long way back after his pit-stop. The Australian had started third, but had to produce a recovery drive before settling for fifth at the flag.

"The track dried out to the point where everyone had to pit and get off the rain tires because we just couldn't turn anymore," he confirmed, "Then there was a very big miscue with my pit-stop. I'm not quite sure what happened, but we lost 30 seconds and I went all the way back - probably nearly to last. I've never driven so hard in my life to get through the field and secure a top five, so I've gotta be happy with my drive. We're a bit disappointed with the result considering we had the speed to win today but people know we're quick and our time will come."

Title contenders Mario Romancini and Wade Cunningham followed Hinchcliffe in bouncing back from retirement at Watkins Glen with strong points in Canada, but had to watch as Hildebrand increased his advantage over them, while Gustavo Yacaman, Daniel Herrington - from the back of the grid - and Andrew Prendeville rounded out the top ten.