15 March 2011
Barber Motorsports Park - Testing - Mar 15
Penske continued to dominate pre-season testing with a top-3 lockout in a rain-shortened first practice before Helio Castroneves set the best time of the whole two-day event in the afternoon.
Poor weather saw the first of today's practice sessions at Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham, Alabama truncated without any running, and a shortened mid-day practice 4 session run from 12.30-1.30pm, with an extra-length afternoon session then being held from 3.15-6.15pm.
In the short session, the Penske trio of Will Power, Ryan Briscoe and Helio Castroneves topped the timesheets, but Canadian rookie James Hinchcliffe continued to impress by being "best of the rest" in fourth ahead of former champion Scott Dixon.
Mike Conway caused a delay by bringing out a yellow flag after finding the tyres mid-session shortly after a practice pit stop. "The car handled a little differently than it did yesterday and it just caught me out," Conway explained. "I got on the grass coming out of 15 and it was so wet it took me straight into the barrier."
Castroneves improved his time by half a second with the 48th of his 52 total laps in the three hour afternoon session and in the process set the best time of the two-day pre-season public official testing event with 1m 11.9434s (an average speed of 115.090mph) before subsequently bringing out out a yellow flag with a harmless spin through the gravel.
Other yellow flags during the afternoon session were caused by Ryan Hunter-Reay, Takuma Sato, Simona de Silvestro, Ryan Briscoe - and Dario Franchitti, who was having a tough time of it in testing, admitting afterwards that "we struggled from the moment we got here," unlike his team mate Dixon.
JR Hildebrand did not take part in today's testing, after crashing his Panther at the end of day one which meant the team needed to head back to base to make repairs.
The 2011 IZOD IndyCar Series season starts on the streets of St Petersburg, Florida on March 27, and returns to Barber Motorsports Park for the second race of the season in April.
No running, session shortened due to wet weather.
1. #12 Will Power 115.058mph 1m 11.9636s after 22 laps
2. #6 Ryan Briscoe 114.203mph 1m 12.5026s + 0.5390s after 19 laps
3. #3 Helio Castroneves 113.930mph 1m 12.6764s + 0.7128s after 19 laps
4. #06 James Hinchcliffe 113.356mph 1m 13.0445s + 1.0809s after 19 laps
5. #9 Scott Dixon 113.072mph 1m 13.2274s + 1.2638s after 12 laps
6. #38 Graham Rahal 112.742mph 1m 13.4422s + 1.4786s after 19 laps
7. #02 Oriol Servia 112.708mph 1m 13.4640s + 1.5004s after 23 laps
8. #83 Charlie Kimball 112.656mph 1m 13.4978s + 1.5342s after 21 laps
9. #22 Justin Wilson 112.567mph 1m 13.5564s + 1.5928s after 18 laps
10. #5 Takuma Sato 112.511mph 1m 13.5929s + 1.6293s after 20 laps
11. #78 Simona de Silvestro 112.440mph 1m 13.6391s + 1.6755s after 18 laps
12. #26 Marco Andretti 112.397mph 1m 13.6674s + 1.7038s after 19 laps
13. #7 Danica Patrick 112.174mph 1m 13.8141s + 1.8505s after 16 laps
14. #10 Dario Franchitti 112.172mph 1m 13.8149s + 1.8513s after 10 laps
15. #8 EJ Viso 112.045mph 1m 13.8990s + 1.9354s after 19 laps
16. #19 James Jakes 111.951mph 1m 13.9611s + 1.9975s after 19 laps
17. #28 Ryan Hunter-Reay 111.781mph 1m 14.0734s + 2.1098s after 17 laps
18. #27 Mike Conway 111.252mph 1m 14.4254s + 2.4618s after 6 laps
19. #77 Alex Tagliani 111.222mph 1m 14.4455s + 2.4819s after 18 laps
20. #18 Sebastien Bourdais 110.937mph 1m 14.6372s + 2.6736s after 17 laps
21. #34 Sebastian Saavedra 110.897mph 1m 14.6637s + 2.7001s after 15 laps
22. #24 Ana Beatriz 110.837mph 1m 14.7046s + 2.7410s after 14 laps
1. #3 Helio Castroneves 115.090mph 1m 11.9434s after 52 laps
2. #12 Will Power 115.048mph 1m 11.9701s + 0.0267s after 41 laps
3. #9 Scott Dixon 114.552mph 1m 12.2815s + 0.3381s after 44 laps
4. #6 Ryan Briscoe 114.530mph 1m 12.2954s + 0.3520s after 50 laps
5. #02 Oriol Servia 114.429mph 1m 12.3594s + 0.4160s after 50 laps
6. #5 Takuma Sato 114.248mph 1m 12.4742s + 0.5308s after 49 laps
7. #06 James Hinchcliffe 114.175mph 1m 12.5200s + 0.5766s after 44 laps
8. #26 Marco Andretti 114.167mph 1m 12.5255s + 0.5821s after 54 laps
9. #28 Ryan Hunter-Reay 113.775mph 1m 12.7749s + 0.8315s after 48 laps
10. #10 Dario Franchitti 113.666mph 1m 12.8447s + 0.9013s after 19 laps
11. #77 Alex Tagliani 113.653mph 1m 12.8533s + 0.9099s after 36 laps
12. #7 Danica Patrick 113.481mph 1m 12.9638s + 1.0204s after 34 laps
13. #38 Graham Rahal 113.455mph 1m 12.9804s + 1.0370s after 43 laps
14. #14 Vitor Meira 113.246mph 1m 13.1151s + 1.1717s after 50 laps
15. #78 Simona de Silvestro 113.011mph 1m 13.2671s + 1.3237s after 43 laps
16. #22 Justin Wilson 112.927mph 1m 13.3216s + 1.3782s after 49 laps
17. #83 Charlie Kimball 112.906mph 1m 13.3351s + 1.3917s after 44 laps
18. #18 Sebastien Bourdais 112.807mph 1m 13.3996s + 1.4562s after 44 laps
19. #19 James Jakes 112.757mph 1m 13.4323s + 1.4889s after 54 laps
20. #8 EJ Viso 112.574mph 1m 13.5517s + 1.6083s after 44 laps
21. #34 Sebastian Saavedra 112.423mph 1m 13.6503s + 1.7069s after 38 laps
22. #24 Ana Beatriz 111.978mph 1m 13.9431s + 1.9997s after 53 laps
Practice - combined times
1. #3 Helio Castroneves 115.090mph 1m 11.9434s Practice 5 after 126 laps
2. #12 Will Power 115.058mph 1m 11.9636s Practice 4 after 105 laps
3. #9 Scott Dixon 114.552mph 1m 12.2815s Practice 5 after 95 laps
4. #6 Ryan Briscoe 114.530mph 1m 12.2954s Practice 5 after 134 laps
5. #02 Oriol Servia 114.429mph 1m 12.3594s Practice 5 after 147 laps
6. #5 Takuma Sato 114.248mph 1m 12.4742s Practice 5 after 129 laps
7. #06 James Hinchcliffe 114.175mph 1m 12.5200s Practice 5 after 133 laps
8. #26 Marco Andretti 114.167mph 1m 12.5255s Practice 5 after 121 laps
9. #22 Justin Wilson 113.925mph 1m 12.6791s Practice 2 after 114 laps
10. #28 Ryan Hunter-Reay 113.775mph 1m 12.7749s Practice 5 after 121 laps
11. #10 Dario Franchitti 113.666mph 1m 12.8447s Practice 5 after 74 laps
12. #77 Alex Tagliani 113.653mph 1m 12.8533s Practice 5 after 124 laps
13. #7 Danica Patrick 113.481mph 1m 12.9638s Practice 5 after 119 laps
14. #38 Graham Rahal 113.455mph 1m 12.9804s Practice 5 after 122 laps
15. #8 EJ Viso 113.398mph 1m 13.0170s Practice 2 after 131 laps
16. #27 Mike Conway 113.372mph 1m 13.0338s Practice 1 after 79 laps
17. #14 Vitor Meira 113.246mph 1m 13.1151s Practice 5 after 105 laps
18. #78 Simona de Silvestro 113.011mph 1m 13.2671s Practice 5 after 117 laps
19. #18 Sebastien Bourdais 112.975mph 1m 13.2904s Practice 2 after 130 laps
20. #83 Charlie Kimball 112.906mph 1m 13.3351s Practice 5 after 142 laps
21. #19 James Jakes 112.757mph 1m 13.4323s Practice 5 after 145 laps
22. #34 Sebastian Saavedra 112.423mph 1m 13.6503s Practice 5 after 124 laps
23. #24 Ana Beatriz 111.978mph 1m 13.9431s Practice 5 after 133 laps
24. #4 JR Hildebrand 111.061mph 1m 14.5534s Practice 2 after 41 laps
Click on relevant pic to enlarge
the conversation - Add your comment
Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.