IndyCar » 30 April 2011
São Paulo - Practice times
The Penske drivers' morning domination of the timesheets cracked under late pressure in the afternoon session, with HVM's Simona de Silvestro putting in a stunning lap to go second.
The morning practice session suggested that it was business as usual for Team Penske, taking three of the top four spots led by Ryan Briscoe with only Andretti Autosports' Ryan Hunter-Reay able to challenge them and prevent a top-three lock-out. But a flurry of late laps in an incident-filled afternoon session saw Penske wrong-footed, and a number of unexpected names came out with fast times that displaced Briscoe out of the top ten - although his team mate Will Power held up the Penske honours and set the fastest time of anyone in either session.
Practice was held in sunny and dry conditions, with São Paulo humid but temperatures only in the mid 70s. The main complaint by drivers about this year's circuit was a very prominent bump where the concrete of the Sambadrome section transitioned to asphalt going into turn 1, the Samba Esses, which gave several drivers problems throughout the sessions.
Penske's Ryan Briscoe and Will Power once again took their battle to the top of the timesheets in the opening practice of the Itaipava São Paulo Indy 300.
Andretti Autosports' Ryan Hunter-Reay had led the times in the first half hour reserved for rookies and for drivers outside the top ten in the championship points standings, and he was the only driver able to mix it up with the Penske cars and stop a top three lock-out by the team, after demoting Helio Castroneves to fourth position. Castoneves was the top Brazilian in the first practice, with Tony Kanaan in eighth, Raphael Matos in 11th, Vitor Meira in 23rd and Ana Beatriz the slowest car of the session.
There was only one full course yellow during the 75 minute session, triggered when Simona de Silvestro's HVM stopped on its outlap and needed to be retrieved. It was not repaired in time to take part in the session.
1. #6 Ryan Briscoe 107.272mph 1m 25.1072s after 19 laps
2. #12 Will Power 107.228mph 1m 25.1421s + 0.0349s after 20 laps
3. #28 Ryan Hunter-Reay 107.150mph 1m 25.2043s + 0.0971s after 28 laps
4. #3 Helio Castroneves 107.115mph 1m 25.2314s + 0.1242s after 26 laps
5. #22 Justin Wilson 106.965mph 1m 25.3510s + 0.2438s after 26 laps
6. #10 Dario Franchitti 106.920mph 1m 25.3873s + 0.2801s after 17 laps
7. #9 Scott Dixon 106.772mph 1m 25.5052s + 0.3980s after 18 laps
8. #82 Tony Kanaan 106.642mph 1m 25.6099s + 0.5027s after 11 laps
9. #59 EJ Viso 106.520mph 1m 25.7079s + 0.6007s after 27 laps
10. #38 Graham Rahal 106.499mph 1m 25.7247s + 0.6175s after 25 laps
11. #17 Raphael Matos 106.469mph 1m 25.7486s + 0.6414s after 30 laps
12. #27 Mike Conway 106.440mph 1m 25.7720s + 0.6648s after 19 laps
13. #5 Takuma Sato 106.391mph 1m 25.8121s + 0.7049s after 25 laps
14. #77 Alex Tagliani 106.316mph 1m 25.8724s + 0.7652s after 14 laps
15. #83 Charlie Kimball 106.289mph 1m 25.8942s + 0.7870s after 27 laps
16. #2 Oriol Servia 106.246mph 1m 25.9291s + 0.8219s after 20 laps
17. #4 JR Hildebrand 106.130mph 1m 26.0231s + 0.9159s after 25 laps
18. #06 James Hinchcliffe 106.025mph 1m 26.1082s + 1.0010s after 24 laps
19. #26 Marco Andretti 106.024mph 1m 26.1088s + 1.0016s after 26 laps
20. #19 Sebastien Bourdais 105.857mph 1m 26.2445s + 1.1373s after 30 laps
21. #7 Danica Patrick 105.850mph 1m 26.2506s + 1.1434s after 27 laps
22. #34 Sebastian Saavedra 105.835mph 1m 26.2629s + 1.1557s after 22 laps
23. #14 Vitor Meira 105.502mph 1m 26.5350s + 1.4278s after 21 laps
24. #18 James Jakes 104.517mph 1m 27.3504s + 2.2432s after 30 laps
25. #24 Ana Beatriz 103.925mph 1m 27.8477s + 2.7405s after 30 laps
A stunnning lap from HVM's Simona de Silvestro with just a couple of minutes to go put her second just 0.0801s behind Power's top time in the second practice session of the day. De Silvestro's time was especially impressive after having missed the morning's running with mechanical problems.
Penske's morning domination was shattered, with Ganassi's Scott Dixon ending in third, Andretti Autosport's Ryan Hunter-Reay fourth and Ganassi's Dario Franchitti in fifth ahead of Helio Castroneves in sixth. Also coming on string toward the end of the session were JR Hildebrand, Sebastien Bourdais and Alex Tagliani who ended up seventh, eighth and ninth respectively. The morning's fastest driver, Ryan Briscoe, found himself bundled out of the top ten in eleventh.
The session saw several yellow flags and assorted incidents, starting nine minutes in when a caution was needed for debris in turn 6 that turned out to be some stray banners intruding onto the track. EJ Viso triggered the second yellow when he flew into turn 11 at high speed with no chance of making the hairpin, burying the KV Racing Technology-Lotus deep in the tyre wall. It took the track officials almost 20 minutes to rebuild the tyre wall, and race control duly added ten minutes back onto the session time by way of compensation.
Sebastian Saavedra brought out another caution after spinning following a slide and light contact with the fence in turn 4, leaving him stalled and pointing in the wrong direction, and another yellow flag followed soon after for Ana Beatriz spinning through the Samba Esses and stopping on the racing line. Other drivers to have scares included Scott Dixon who delivered a glancing blow to the turn 11 barrier but escaped unscathed, and Hunter-Reay who had a couple of spins after getting loose into turn 5 that needed him to take to the escape road.
James Jakes got minimal track time during the session and did well to record a time of 1:25.394 despite only running five laps, putting him ahead of James Hinchcliffe and Ana Beatrix by the time the chequered flag came out.
1. #12 Will Power 108.491mph 1m 24.1509s after 21 laps
2. #78 Simona de Silvestro 108.388mph 1m 24.2310s + 0.0801s after 23 laps
3. #9 Scott Dixon 108.296mph 1m 24.3019s + 0.1510s after 25 laps
4. #28 Ryan Hunter-Reay 108.294mph 1m 24.3039s + 0.1530s after 24 laps
5. #10 Dario Franchitti 108.178mph 1m 24.3944s + 0.2435s after 16 laps
6. #3 Helio Castroneves 108.121mph 1m 24.4387s + 0.2878s after 24 laps
7. #4 JR Hildebrand 108.108mph 1m 24.4491s + 0.2982s after 16 laps
8. #19 Sebastien Bourdais 108.099mph 1m 24.4563s + 0.3054s after 23 laps
9. #77 Alex Tagliani 108.030mph 1m 24.5096s + 0.3587s after 20 laps
10. #82 Tony Kanaan 108.026mph 1m 24.5128s + 0.3619s after 22 laps
11. #6 Ryan Briscoe 107.989mph 1m 24.5417s + 0.3908s after 22 laps
12. #7 Danica Patrick 107.931mph 1m 24.5875s + 0.4366s after 24 laps
13. #27 Mike Conway 107.929mph 1m 24.5889s + 0.4380s after 20 laps
14. #38 Graham Rahal 107.838mph 1m 24.6605s + 0.5096s after 23 laps
15. #2 Oriol Servia 107.837mph 1m 24.6613s + 0.5104s after 21 laps
16. #26 Marco Andretti 107.830mph 1m 24.6667s + 0.5158s after 23 laps
17. #22 Justin Wilson 107.670mph 1m 24.7928s + 0.6419s after 25 laps
18. #5 Takuma Sato 107.604mph 1m 24.8441s + 0.6932s after 25 laps
19. #14 Vitor Meira 107.502mph 1m 24.9250s + 0.7741s after 24 laps
20. #17 Raphael Matos 107.438mph 1m 24.9756s + 0.8247s after 26 laps
21. #83 Charlie Kimball 107.152mph 1m 25.2024s + 1.0515s after 24 laps
22. #34 Sebastian Saavedra 106.926mph 1m 25.3828s + 1.2319s after 21 laps
23. #18 James Jakes 106.911mph 1m 25.3942s + 1.2433s after 8 laps
24. #06 James Hinchcliffe 106.645mph 1m 25.6073s + 1.4564s after 13 laps
25. #24 Ana Beatriz 106.352mph 1m 25.8430s + 1.6921s after 24 laps
26. #59 EJ Viso 105.851mph 1m 26.2498s + 2.0989s after 5 laps
Combined practice 1 and 2 times
1. #12 Will Power 108.491mph 1m 24.1509s Practice 2 after 41 laps
2. #78 Simona de Silvestro 108.388mph 1m 24.2310s Practice 2 after 23 laps
3. #9 Scott Dixon 108.296mph 1m 24.3019s Practice 2 after 43 laps
4. #28 Ryan Hunter-Reay 108.294mph 1m 24.3039s Practice 2 after 52 laps
5. #10 Dario Franchitti 108.178mph 1m 24.3944s Practice 2 after 33 laps
6. #3 Helio Castroneves 108.121mph 1m 24.4387s Practice 2 after 50 laps
7. #4 JR Hildebrand 108.108mph 1m 24.4491s Practice 2 after 41 laps
8. #19 Sebastien Bourdais 108.099mph 1m 24.4563s Practice 2 after 53 laps
9. #77 Alex Tagliani 108.030mph 1m 24.5096s Practice 2 after 34 laps
10. #82 Tony Kanaan 108.026mph 1m 24.5128s Practice 2 after 33 laps
11. #6 Ryan Briscoe 107.989mph 1m 24.5417s Practice 2 after 41 laps
12. #7 Danica Patrick 107.931mph 1m 24.5875s Practice 2 after 51 laps
13. #27 Mike Conway 107.929mph 1m 24.5889s Practice 2 after 39 laps
14. #38 Graham Rahal 107.838mph 1m 24.6605s Practice 2 after 48 laps
15. #2 Oriol Servia 107.837mph 1m 24.6613s Practice 2 after 41 laps
16. #26 Marco Andretti 107.830mph 1m 24.6667s Practice 2 after 49 laps
17. #22 Justin Wilson 107.670mph 1m 24.7928s Practice 2 after 51 laps
18. #5 Takuma Sato 107.604mph 1m 24.8441s Practice 2 after 50 laps
19. #14 Vitor Meira 107.502mph 1m 24.9250s Practice 2 after 45 laps
20. #17 Raphael Matos 107.438mph 1m 24.9756s Practice 2 after 56 laps
21. #83 Charlie Kimball 107.152mph 1m 25.2024s Practice 2 after 51 laps
22. #34 Sebastian Saavedra 106.926mph 1m 25.3828s Practice 2 after 43 laps
23. #18 James Jakes 106.911mph 1m 25.3942s Practice 2 after 38 laps
24. #06 James Hinchcliffe 106.645mph 1m 25.6073s Practice 2 after 37 laps
25. #59 EJ Viso 106.520mph 1m 25.7079s Practice 1 after 32 laps
26. #24 Ana Beatriz 106.352mph 1m 25.8430s Practice 2 after 54 laps
Click on relevant pic to enlarge [NEW FEATURE]
Start the conversation - Add your comment
Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.