22 May 2011
Indianapolis 500 - Practice 9 times
Patrick Carpentier made a splash and a crash as he took over Scott Speed's #20 for the morning practice, which saw Charlie Kimball, Danica Patrick and Marco Andretti fastest.
The Sunday morning practice session at Indianapolis is intended more for a last minute shake-down and fine-tuning, and general warm-up before Bump Day qualifying which starts from noon local time.
Junior Ganassi team driver Charlie Kimball ran fastest in the curtailed practice session ahead of Andretti Autosport's Danica Patrick and Marco Andretti, with Kimball's team mate Graham Rahal in fourth the only other driver to top 226mph, times that would easily put them onto the grid if yesterday's speeds are any indication. The Ganassi second team drivers struggled with fuel and engine issues on Pole Day.
Ryan Briscoe was also out on track, and still having problems getting his T-car up to speed and dialled in after wrecking the race car during Saturday morning's practice.
Other drivers desperately looking for something extra to get them into next week's race included Paul Tracy, Ana Beatriz, Ryan Hunter-Reay, Alex Lloyd, Pippa Mann, Raphael Matos, James Jakes, Sebastian Saavedra and Mike Conway.
Several drivers who made the top 24 on Saturday also took the opportunity to practice, in case they are required to run again today if they come under threat of going "on the bubble" and being bumped during today's session. Davey Hamilton, JR Hildebrand, Bertrand Baguette, John Andretti, James Hinchcliffe Tony Kanaan, Jay Howard, Justin Wilson and Sebastian Saavedra all put in some track time during the session.
Oriol Servia, Dario Franchitti and Helio Castroneves also put in a few shakedown laps, but are highly unlikely to be under any pressure today; in Dario's case it's more likely that he just wanted to drill his pit crew on refuelling procedure...
Dragon Racing continued to provide more than its share of high drama in pit road by calling up Champ Car veteran Patrick Carpentier to help them out with their Indianapolis 500 qualifying effort.
The 39-year-old Canadian, who last appeared at the Indy 500 in 2005, took out Scott Speed's #20 while the American driver watched on from the pit lane examining the telemetry. Speed was joined by the team's other driver Ho-Pin Tung, who crashed on his qualifying attempt on Saturday and is currently not cleared to drive because of a mild concussion. It's unclear whether Carpentier may be in line to try and qualify Tung's car for him in the afternoon.
Unfortunately the Canadian promptly planted the car in the wall on his 25th lap, in a heavy impact. The car was badly damaged and Carpentier was described as "woozy" and stayed in the cockpit before extricating himself once the medical team arrived on scene. He was checked over by the IndyCar doctors and passed fit to drive - although whether he will or not is uncertain, as Dragon have not yet revealed their plans and also have an acute lack of cars remaining.
Qualifying starts at midday (5pm BST) for six hours.
Practice 9 times
1. #83 Charlie Kimball 226.822mph 39.7787s after 15 laps
2. #7 Danica Patrick 226.252mph + 0.0999s after 18 laps
3. #26 Marco Andretti 226.181mph + 0.1124s after 7 laps
4. #38 Graham Rahal 226.066mph + 0.1327s after 24 laps
5. #23 Paul Tracy 225.781mph + 0.1829s after 17 laps
6. #82 Tony Kanaan 225.765mph + 0.1858s after 9 laps
7. #6T Ryan Briscoe 225.567mph + 0.2207s after 25 laps
8. #24 Ana Beatriz 225.334mph + 0.2620s after 18 laps
9. #88 Jay Howard 225.024mph + 0.3171s after 12 laps
10. #28 Ryan Hunter-Reay 224.998mph + 0.3217s after 17 laps
11. #4 JR Hildebrand 224.180mph + 0.4677s after 32 laps
12. #2 Oriol Servia 224.174mph + 0.4686s after 12 laps
13. #19 Alex Lloyd 224.102mph + 0.4815s after 22 laps
14. #10 Dario Franchitti 223.970mph + 0.5052s after 31 laps
15. #17 Raphael Matos 223.964mph + 0.5064s after 24 laps
16. #30 Bertrand Baguette 223.730mph + 0.5483s after 30 laps
17. #43 John Andretti 223.646mph + 0.5635s after 19 laps
18. #06 James Hinchcliffe 223.576mph + 0.5760s after 31 laps
19. #27 Mike Conway 223.209mph + 0.6422s after 19 laps
20. #18 James Jakes 222.471mph + 0.7760s after 31 laps
21. #78T Simona de Silvestro 222.443mph + 0.7811s after 5 laps
22. #11 Davey Hamilton 222.436mph + 0.7824s after 35 laps
23. #34 Sebastian Saavedra 222.325mph + 0.8025s after 23 laps
24. #20 Patrick Carpentier 222.294mph + 0.8083s after 24 laps
25. #22 Justin Wilson 221.939mph + 0.8729s after 25 laps
26. #36 Pippa Mann 220.018mph + 1.2271s after 7 laps
27. #3 Helio Castroneves 137.306mph + 25.8684s after 9 laps
Click on relevant pic to enlarge
the conversation - Add your comment
Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.